Rs-3 II side wall placement

Vivid

I will be receiving a brand new pair of Klipsch RS-3 II surround speakers this Tuesday to replace some older Paradigm Monitors I was using, my first question is because of a rather large window on one of the side walls its impossible to have both side speakers @ the same height unless I mount them directly under the ceiling which makes the top of the speakers 8-0 high.

1. Is this too high & will there be any negative effects being so close to the ceiling?

2. If I mount 1 speaker lower then the other say 12 would that affect the surround effect?

3. Should the side surrounds in a 6.1 system be mounted @ the same elevation height wise as the rear speakers, I will have about 12 difference here.

4. Ive heard people talking about angle mounting the side speakers down towards the listener, is this a special wall mount available for the RS-3 II or just use a Omnimount kit?

Is this too high & will there be any negative effects being so close to the ceiling?

Roughly a foot higher than the listener's ear is optimum, but for some of us, this isn't always practical. I would not recommend mounting them in this fashion ( against the ceiling ) unless it is the only option.

If I mount 1 speaker lower then the other say 12"; would that affect the surround effect?

I can't see that you would be able to discern the difference between one speaker a foot higher then the other in sound. Esthetics would be the difference here.

Should the side surrounds in a 6.1 system be mounted @ the same elevation height wise as the rear speakers, I will have about 12" difference here.

Same as the difference between the side speakers. Looks primarily.

I've heard people talking about angle mounting the side speakers down towards the listener, is this a special wall mount available for the RS-3 II or just use a Omnimount kit?

No mounting kit that I know of, but you can always make your own. Also see the freestanding surround speaker stands that Al Klappenberger made out of floor standing lamp bases. I will see about finding the picture. This may or may not work for you or your decor.

• 6 months later...

Ahhhhh.....

I thought the instructions said to mount them about a foot down from the ceiling. I never sat down and smiled with the surrounds yet and I've had them for over a year. I'm watching this concert on hdnet and the surrounds are really starting to bug me now because it sounds horrible.

I guess I should probably get some stands and mount them ~ a foot above the ear level!!! Doh! :-)

Also, would you recommend mounting them on the side of the listener, in line with the ear or behind the seating position a little bit?

Thanks!