Suggestions For New Construction

I'm just looking for ideas on listening/viewing rooms in a new home construction. I had been thinking of piping speakers into every room, but have decided to focus on a couple rooms instead. Upstairs in the great room will be a TV for casual viewing, and am undecided on doing a dedicated listening room downstairs or just integrating it with a HT. There is a large room downstairs that could be used for HT, but it doesn't have the corners required for the Khorns that are somewhere in my future. The other half of the downstairs is 24x34, which can be configured as I see fit for a HT, a wood shop and storage. I realize that may not be big enough for all three uses. I've considered building a seperate room for the HT that would have the approriate corners for the horns, but that would leave me with yet another tv in the downstairs family room, and am unsure as to the WAF with too many tv's in the house. What have people found to be a good size for a HT room? I know someones' sig states that it is possible to have quality HT and 2-channel in the same room, but I can't remember who it is. I should have brought in the prints with me so I had measurements of the rooms, but will bring them in tmrw.

Also, what does everyone recommend for cabling for audio/video? Is there one cable that will run both without interferance? I'd like to preinstall as much of the wiring as possible before the sheetrock goes up, but without knowing best speaker placement until the room is finished, what's the best plan for that? A lot of this is just thinking out loud, but I have more questions than answers at this point, and would rather have it figured out before the walls start going up than get too far behind on this since I only have one shot at doing it right. Thanks for any ideas, and bearing with my rambling.

for audio, use 16/2 or 14/2 twisted,jacketed speaker wire.

for video signals,i have used rg-6 with success,but rg-59 may be better? i have also used rg-6 as audio 'patchcables' for long runs, and subwoofer cable as well.

it is critical that you get those wires in weather you may use them or not. you should also consider satellite and LOCAL ANTENNA cable runs for digital over-the-air broadcasts.

also, you should go ahead and run speaker wire to any locations you MAY want speakers in the future,as it is easier and less costly to do it NOW!

jmo-avman.

I'm with avman on pre-installing any in wall wiring you think you may EVER need. I just ran a dedicated 25amp circuit for my HT. Now I'm determined to buy a monster amp not because I need one with my effecient Klipsch speakers, but because I had such a hell of a time running that wiring through a finished wall.

I'm all for the ease of installing wiring beforehand, assuming I can determine some basic locations. What do you use to terminate the ends of the rg-6 or 59? I have the special crimper for the coax ends, are there other options, such as soldering them? I'd already planned on a dedicated 23-30 amp circuit for the system. Thanks for the reminder though. Anyone else have any general thoughts on integrating a 2-channel and HT in the same room? Spent as much time as possible today searching history, but still looking for suggestions.

Home theater and 2 channel can be had in one room. I visited Sean Nozworthy's ( NOZ ) place in early november, and that is one impressive rig for sure. 5 Klipsch lascala's with two SVS cs-ultra's subwoofers can sure belt out the spl's. He has an infocus projector and draper premier power screen, that retracts out of the way when not needed.

I laid in bed last night wondering how I was going to draw out the room so you could get a feel for what I had to work with, came up with an idea... I just got off the phone with the architects' office, when he gets in this AM they are going to e-mail me the drawing of the two floors. Of course, that means I'll have to figure out how to load the image here, or make it accessable, but one step at a time.

Here is a room that I drew up for my Klipschorns and LaScalas.

I've changed it some since this early drawing, but I can't post the new drawings. The revised drawings are too large. This drawing is crude, but should give you an idea of what I'm trying to do.

post-2405-13819253176226_thumb.jpg

ROFLMAO!!! That is an artistic rendition, mine is a 6 yr olds stick drawing of walls. I'm still in the wall location/room size stage of the plan, haven't even begun to think of where speakers would go yet. I will admit, looks like you have a kick a$$ design started though, I'm sure it will be awesome once it gets finished.