painted dry-wall for front projection screen?

jdm56

Doug,

I will check that out. Shoot, I've probably seen it a dozen times and wasn't paying any attention to the name, because I'm always checking out the shelving and storage items at Home Depot and at Lowes.

Thanks Again,

James - it seems like you're heading down the DIY route, but FWIW....

You asked the rhetorical question in your original post of could you get a front projector (FP) system for the same amount that you'd spend on a LCD rear projection (RP) TV. The answer is yes and so much more. You can buy a Sanyo Z2 projector for around $2000 and you can buy a 100" diagonal Carada screen for around $700 delivered. Grand total, about $3000. Now, you might say you can get a 50" or 60" TV for the same amount or even less. But think about it, you're talking about 60" versus 100" for the same money. Additionally, something not talked about very much is that one doesn't have the off-axis image problems with FP (within reason) as one does with RP.

A member here has this very same setup and I spoke to him at great length and I'm sold. Can a DIY screen be as good? I guess. I've never tried, but folks say it's possible and I have no reason to doubt them. However, the guy I spoke to said that from the time he opened the Carada screen box to when he was finished hanging the screen on the wall was 45 minutes. I don't know about you, but I don't think ANYONE can go into a Home Depot store and come out in less than 45 minutes. 2.gif

Tom

i suggest looking at DA-LITE for a reasonablly priced screen.

the permwall is a good choice for a fixed-mount screen,and can be had for as little as $500.

you can choose H igh C ontrast M atte W hite(HCMW) which is slightly gray for improved black level, or a 'video spectra 1.5 gain screen for more 'punch' or go for the 'retina burner' high power 2.8 gain screen.

WAY MORE options than walls or paint can offer.

JMO-

avman.