Using a PC for video processing

mtber101

well what are you planning on connecting your pc to? a normal tv? front projection?

i think the most important thing with setting up a computer is knowing which software you will be using first and buying the correct hardware for it. annoyingly, that's hard to do without first having hardware to see what programs you like 7.gif

so what do you plan on using your pc for? any amount of recording? transferring one media format to another? music playback? music storage? dvd playback? etc etc...

I'd like to use it for as much as i can. Being in a small apartment I don't have room for a lot components.

TV would be an HDTV ready Plasma

Some things I'd like to do

Music Library

DVD Library

Record HDTV

video processing

The thing is..I don't want to loss quality(audio or video)

what reciever will you be using? the ideal method for the audio would be to send a digital signal from your pc into the reciever. if you can't do that, then try to go with a sound card with external DACs (these do exist and aren't that expensive). let me know if you need help finding stuff.

as far as video, computers like to suck at that...im not familiar with the HDTVs, but you will want to make sure your videocard outputs in the format of your tv input (or your reciever input). otherwise, you're gonna end up spending a lot of money trying to maintain quality with adapters and stuff which always ends up sucking in the end.

i know there's some websites that talk about setting up an HTPC and all that...perhaps one of them fans will post a few links to get you started. im not very current with all the video aspects as i am with the audio.