72 vert Cornwall upgrade

kktvbob

What is the difference between a B and B3 cross over in sound and sould I up grade to a B3 to match my 84 Cornwalls. The 72 also has one blown tweeter it's a round can K77 is this a Alnico. My question here is their a sound difference between that tweeter and a later square K77. Also they have a K33E in one and a K33P. Sould I upgrade the K33P to a K33E. And what about the squawker between the 72 and 84. I'm just looking for the best sound for my setup. Some of the older setup may be better and I may back date the 84s for the better sound. Thanks for any input.

----------------

On 3/14/2004 6:08:00 PM kktvbob wrote:

What is the difference between a B and B3 cross over in sound and sould I up grade to a B3 to match my 84 Cornwalls. The 72 also has one blown tweeter it's a round can K77 is this a Alnico. My question here is their a sound difference between that tweeter and a later square K77. Also they have a K33E in one and a K33P. Sould I upgrade the K33P to a K33E. And what about the squawker between the 72 and 84. I'm just looking for the best sound for my setup. Some of the older setup may be better and I may back date the 84s for the better sound. Thanks for any input.

----------------

The B Crossover was made for the drivers in the 1972. The B3 crossover was built for the drivers in the 1984. I would NOT change one to match the other.

If it were me, I would replace BOTH diaphrams in the K77s and spend the rest of my time listening to them and refinishing them as needed. The reason to replace both diaphrams is two fold:

1) What blew one may have damaged the other 2) they will have matched diaphrams.

Mike

THe ALK will work with the 72's not the 84's.

I have not done this for two reasons: the cost is about $400-$500 per pair and the opinion stated here sometime ago by those that tried the mod on Cornwalls was: it did make an improvement, but it was not worth the cost. Al himself decided, I believe, not to to make them for Cornwalls, but provide the instructions to those that wanted to DIY.

The ALK for the K-Horn is a different story. There is enough difference to make it worthwhile per the opinions on this board.

There are a number of less expensive MODS that can improve the 72's before thinking about the ALKs.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Good2bhome thanks for your input. I thought you could use the ALK up till 84 or am I missing something. What were you thinking of on the way of mods. What I'm going to do is replace he speaker cable and maybe binding post that is if I can find some that don't cost a arm and a leg. I'm also going to Dynamat the horns. I did the wire and Dynamat to my 84 Cornwall years ago and it sounded great. I was also lookin at Roger Floth cabinet mods of tuning the lows but I need to look at the old theads to see if anyone has done the upgrades and to see if they liked them. The braces look like they can only help but I may only use a brace on the back like the front and not use the big sheet of wood. I'm not sure on the retuning of the cabint though. Would upgrading the caps on the B crossover help or are their other mods I sould do to the crossover short of the ALK. Would the cap upgrade help my 84s also.