Six Klipschorns in a Round Room???

HornEd

Right on Benton, I plan to have the 4' false corners end flush to the interior wall of the circle. As for the mounting points, as of now I plan to use the European Standard of O° for the center, -30° for Left Front, +30 for Right Front, -110° for Left Surround, +110 for Right Surround, 180° for the Rear Effects. If I can pick up a single Khorn, I would consider a 7.1 system with the sixth speaker (Left Rear Effects) at -160 and the seventh speaker (Right Rear Effects) at +160.

There's a lot more to this than meets the eye! Colin thanks for giving me the most interesting url's. -HornEd

HornEd,

Lest ye think me to be slinging arrows, fear not! Merely firey darts to light your way! And save you a few thou in the process. 12.gif

Quick, name all the great sounding recording studios or concert halls (admittedly very different purpose and sound) in the world that are round... ...OK, that's what I thought.

I think it best to not try and eliminate resonances, but to control them. After all, resonances properly and evenly distributed are actually beneficial. Think of sound in an anechoic chamber - UGH! But the best sound, in my experience is always in rooms where there are no pile-ups of modes, but instead the resonances are many, yet evenly distributed.

Oh yes, and as for that "European Standard" regarding multi-speaker set-up, The same recommendations (30-30-110-110) are on a little insert that can be found in many DVD-A and SACD discs. Maybe the DVD-A and SACD forums got them from the Europeans, but I just don't like giving the Europeans any more credit than is absolutely neccesary!11.gif

JD (Doug), no offense taken... having done some "rubber room" realization as a neuropsychiatric stint in environmental structuring in the Army Medical Corps... your earlier comment hit "home" in more ways than one. In effect, building a better audio environment includes parameters of environmental structuring from a psychological perspective... for the ultimate processor of SPL's is the psychoacoustic processor we call a brain.

While saving a few thou is always an enjoyable prospect, my fear of loss does not outweigh my prospect of gain. I already know that a circular theater can be exquisite using KLF-30's and SVS Ultras using non-reflective audio "transparent walls" for lower frequencies. So, how does one construct a variable audio transparency and soak up extraneous sounds as to not pollute the neighborhood?

It may be impractical to try but I have spent enough decades on practical things that I can afford to experience the agony of defeat for a glimpse of personally satisfying audio glory. And, for the record, Doug, the evidence Ive found on the Internet favors your initial opinion and I do appreciate your pointing that out to me. At the risk of crossing the line from therapist to patient my curiosity lures me on with ominous catlike potential. HornEd

PS: The latest cats meow is exploring the audio benefit of a shaped theater floor.3.gif

PPS: Some of this discussion has occurred in the "Round Room" thread started by Artto on the Architectural end of the Forum.