Acheived 'audio perfection' today.

kenratboy

While I wait for my Klipschies, I am playing with my exsisting system. The JBL HT4H's I own cost $1200 a pair ($300 at a pawn shop, they are actually called SVA1500's, I hope to sell them for $500 or so later, anyway...) and each one has 2, 5.25" mid/woofers and a 1" titanium horn tweeter. THX certified for home theater use - music is NOT their main design. Despite that, they are only 88 dB. sens. and were not designed for bass, so not great in those respects.

Anyway, I moved some stuff around and got the speakers about 8 feet apart (they were about 4-5' apart before), towed in, and my chair in the perfect position. I put on the first track from a well-recorded club mix in Toronto (not live, can't hear people, maybe they just recorded from the audio signal), and I was BLOWN AWAY. First, the speakers totally and utterly vanished. Period. I was actually hearing stuff coming from the SIDE!!! (this was all stereo, no subwoofer, by side, I mean like over my sholder!) Panning sounds were utterly convincing, the sound just floated. Literally, there was a stage in front of me. Rim shots had an IMPACT on the room - it was amazing. AND, sounds would move up and down, not just across the sound stage!

Anyway, I am very stoked and look foward to what some RF-35's can do. These speakers (my JBL's) were NOT made for music. They were made for THX HT and supposed to be crossed over at 80 Hz. (they go down to 55 Hz. to allow a fat buffer) The RF-35's ARE made for music, and with 2, 8" woofers meant for bass, I am looking foward to see what they will be able to do.

AND, this is all with a cheap Sony reciever. I hope to get a Denon 3805 eventually, and that sould be spectacular!

Wow. I think everyone who is not into this hobby should be exposed to a good system in their life. I cannot believe a pair of expensive speakers hooked up to a cheap receiver can do this! 9.gif

Audible differences per dollar spen it much more in the lower budget...as you go higher you may need to spend upto 10 times more for a minute difference !

Now that you have got soundstage width...try to get depth (Eg drums will sound to be behind the speakers).. as well as height..where you would approximately get a feeling of the height of the source !!

Actually even a Cheap sony can throw a decent soundstage...important factors to lo0k forward would be

- depth

- Attack (ie the first tone of the sound eg piano hit)

- Decay ( eg the slow decaying of the sound of ta Cymbal)

- Dynamism ie if the speaker is able to haandle fast changes in music

- transparency...eg the snapping of a fingers should give you that feeling of "Flesh " rather than just a sound

etc etc...

9.gif

For me, the path to audio nirvana is the 3D sonic holographic image created by distinct images within a wide and deep soundstage. Nothing I have heard does this better, for less money, than big ole horns and tubes.