pre amp for sm70-pro

DAX616

I will probably order a single monarchy sm-70 pro for use with my 1973 k horns. I have read the archives available. What would the forum reccomend as a good preamp, given the sensitive input of this amplifier. By the way it is offered at factory discount @683.00 while supplies last with a 30 day return for 15% restocking.

When I bought my first SM-70 (not Pro) I also purchased the Monarchy Model 33 Dual 20-Bit D/A Converter/Class A Line Amplifier. The two pieces together were a very nice combination (in my room, to my ears, IMHO, YMMV)! I later purchased a second SM-70 and ran them as monoblocks using the balanced connections-this combo definately kicked it up another notch. At that time I was driving a pair of Cornwalls, and later a pair of Belles. C.C. Poon is a very knowledgeable fellow and great to speak with if you can understand him through his accent. 2.gif

Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone and started looking at more gear and bought the AES AE-3 DJH version Super Preamp. It was another very nice combination with the Monarchy amps.

I own a SM 70 and 2 SM 70 Pros that I have used with my Denon 4800 home theater receiver that was a very good match and also ran the pros with a 1983 Luxman preamp that was a good match. They match very well with Klipsch, with my KLF 20s they sounded very good! I have never used it but the Monarchy model 22c preamp( I think it is the C model they are on now) is suppose to sound very good. They also work very good as home theater amps. They blew away the internal amps in my Denon!

Xman