OT- What's your favorite personal firewall?

geekysteve

this weird *** thing happened. I installed norton antiviruse and right away it said i had a virus "rlumkaus." But when i tryed to fix it, quaretine it, or all the other things.....i didnt work. So i tried scanning it again but this time, it did not show rlumkaus as a virus. So i searched my comp for the file and i found it in my windows directory. I went there and found the file. I had a video icon next to it. Then, a week later i installed zonealarm and it said "do u want to block rlumkaus from accessing the internet?" This is when i got really scared and thought it was a probe or something. Im not really advanced in this area so any feedback would be great

Hmmmm...I've spent a lot of time cleaning viruses, but I've never heard of that one...so, I searched the top 3 AV people (Datafellows, McAfee, Norton) for that term "rlumkaus" and found nothing. So, I checked using all sorts of combinations of that word- "rumkaus", "lumkaus", contains "aus" and found nothing.

My guess is that if ZoneAlarm is saying it's trying to access the internet, it's either some sort of auto-update feature, or it's a trojan of some sort. I would make sure that ZoneAlarm does not allow it to access the internet and see what happens with your system. If all continues to work well, then we'll delete it and clean it out from your Registry.

Let us know what happens after a while.

------------------

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

-- Qui Gon Jinn, Star Wars: Episode One

Try the world's greatest search engine: www.google.com

thats the thing though. i tried deleting it but it would always say "cannot delete because it is in use by windows". I stoped allowing it to use the internet when zonealarm first asked me that question because i remembered norton saying it was a virus so i didnt want ne trouble. it might be part of windows so if u could, check in ure windows folder for a program called rlumkaus. Since i have dsl, its probably really easy for people to hack into my comp and thats why im really paranoid.

• 2 weeks later...

Delete that thing man, and if you have DSL, check out the LinkSys Router someone up there was talking about..I've heard nothing but great compliments on it, and if I had a cable modem or DSL, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, and it's not expensive, and it gives you up to 250+ IPs or so.

Just an update on the rlumkaus.exe file:

It was a variant of the Sub7 trojan program. This trojan is similar to the now infamous "Back Orifice" program that the Cult of the Dead Cow released back in 98.

We were able to clean it from JvoBiker's PC without much trouble.

------------------

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

-- Qui Gon Jinn, Star Wars: Episode One

Try the world's greatest search engine: www.google.com