K-51-V ???

Thank you for the reply. I had the impression from others on this forum that the V designated alnico magnet and the M ceramic? Was the K51V only used during certain years or models, trying to date my drivers, the K600 horn with this driver is aluminum. And the most important question is there a sound difference compared to the 55V.

The V indicates Atlas, the M Electrovoice.

Klipsch was working with Atlas to improve the K55V and make it cheaper. Alnico was expensive.

The K51V had the new phase plug with smoother top end and the ceramic magnet. This driver lost a bit of low end due to reduction in the rear cavity volume. This was fine for the Cornwall with its higher crossover frequency. Atlas punched some holes in the back plate and glued what looked like an ash tray to the back of the driver to try and get back the cavity and the low end. I got a sample of this driver from Atlas. It looked kind of cheezy and wasn't as smooth as what Klipsch wanted.

EV made a copy of the basic Atlas geometry, made it look good, made it work well, and got the contract. This was the K55M.

Klipsch went to a Hepner driver for the Cornwall and Heresy.

This all happened in the early 80s.

Dennis, again thank you for the education. Just got off the phone with a mutual friend, Dave R. in Kenai, his system is the best that I have ever heard, period, and I understand that you had a hand in his Khorn mods. The K77 and K33 that I have came from Dave. Listening to his Khorns and to newly aquired Cornwalls got me started on this new construction project. He told me to say Hello!!

Cordially,

From the end of the road, Homer, Alaska

Lee Hankins

PS: The K51/K600 came out of an 1984 Cornwall, do you know the crossover for this combination.