What's up with my TV?

Tegid

Back in my sales days for a parts business we had a sales contest for points and after a few huge sales I got enough points to get a 36XBR450 a great tv at any price but stellar for a free tv.

Flash forward 3 years I turned on my tv a few weeks ago and and I have extremely discolored corners like someone is waving a magnet over them but I have not moved anything with a magnet in it closer to the tv. If I turn off the tv and turn it back on sometimes they disappear. But today I turn on the tv and the whole right side of the tv is now pink and the left side still has discolored corners. Is my tv going out on me? or what is the deal I know they dont make tv's like they use to but is 3 years to me seems to be a little on the short side of life. Is this something that can be fixed? I have been looking at moving up to a bigger tv but was hoping to put that off for several months.

The XBR450 is a great TV, my parents have one and love it.

Have someone look at it, but whatever you do don't call Sears. I had them look at the Mitsubishi I used to have because the picture kept getting darker. They claimed the tube was going and gave me a $50 coupon for a new one if I bought it at Sears. I gave it to my sister and told her she could probably get a couple of more months out of it. Well she called someone else and she still has it and it works perfectly. Just my luck.

I wanted the 40 inch Sony but it was too expensive at the time so I bought a Toshiba at Best Buy. It has a great picture but lousy sound. Ofcourse the Sony has come way down in price now. 7.gif

It sounds like the shadow mask is somehow being magnetized. When it is magnetized, you get the problem you describe. When you you turn on the TV, a degaussing coil is energized for a short period, demagnetizing the shadow mask. When it is demagnetized, the problem goes away.

Don't suppose you have a three-year old in the house that has gotten ahold of a refrigerator magnet?

That would have to be one heck of a big refrigerator magnet to affect the whole screen!

Maybe you got a faulty unit. My 32" Sony was made back in 1990 and still has an excellent picture. (knock on wood) Hopefully, you'll get it worked out.

Nope no children in the place to throw a magnet on the situation I do have a Boltz tv stand but I have had that for close to a year now so wouldnt see how that could be magnatized all of a sudden.

i have had my kv36xbr450 for about 3 yrs., and NO problems9.gif

xbr is sony's best video product,and while there may be a problem w/the tv itself,i suspect some type of magnetic/electro-magnetic field is affecting it.

if you can,try moving everything away from it,be sure it is off for some time(20 mins. or so)so the auto-degaussing circuit can work(makes a 'buzzing' sound when you turn on the tv)and see what happens.then as you move 'stuff' back in place,see if it affects the picture(use a 'blue-screen'if possible as magnetic effects show up best that way)

let us know how it turns out.

avman.

----------------

On 5/10/2004 2:46:44 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

Do you live in a single family residence (house), or an apartment building with close neighbors?

----------------

good ? ray,but that would have to be one serious magnet/electro-motive device the neighbors have6.gif

avman.