Promedia 2.1 help, please...

Spaz

Hi All:

I just purchased a Promedia 2.1 subwoofer unit to add to my audio system on my PC. I am currently using a Monsoon MM700 sub connected to an Audigy 2 soundcard and Polk Audio home studio monitors for satellites (elevated 8ft up the walls in corners of my home office). The sound is great, however, being an admitted audio snob, I have been wanting to improve the bass "umph." So, I just received this "ebayed" sub today and it came with no cabling (and no fuse... grrr).

I have already spoken with Klipsch customer support and they claim that the sub unit cannot be used w/o the Promedia satellites. However, I'm a bit stubborn and am not convinced that it will not work. I'm about to head out to buy some assorted cables to give it a whirl, but thought I would run the issue by you smart folks, here.

The Promedia system uses a pre-amp out on the satellites connected to the sub and then has separate +/- outputs for each speaker (one of the motivating factors for choosing this sub). I'm thinking I'll try making an adapter to connect the 1/8" stereo plug into the pre-amp in on the sub (same as a PS2 mouse input) as a first try and, if that doesnt work, try leaving the Monsoon connected to the sound card and try to figure out a way to patch over to the Klipsch sub.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, you do need the control pod, but you can find one of those from a seller named buyessex. They sell a lot of Promedia stuff, and right now the have an auction going for quite a few satellites, and you can just use the control pod off of one of those. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I actually got the sub from buyessex. I won an auction last night for a complete set of the 2.1 at a very nice price. The sub on that set looks pretty ragged, so swap out the subs and I'll have a nice set. Only problem then will be figuring out how to wire up my existing satellites as I'd prefer to use them... will more than likely end up with all 4 satellites running.

Thanks again.

Spaz,

You might consider using your old setup as the rear speakers. Connect the input from them to your rear output on your soundcard. The drawback to this option is that once you set the fade to your liking you may have to use the on screen volume control instead of the control pod. At least this way you can still have a four speaker setup with four distinct channels.

Don