RP-3's vs RF-5's

Timster

First some info on myself. This is my first visit to this message board. The last time I purchased audio equipment was 1979. I am in the market for a great home theatre surround sound set up. After visiting my local Tweeter and Cambridge Soundworks I have definitely decided I like the " Klipsch Sound" that I demo'd at Tweeter. Right now I am leaning towards a Denon 3801 and the Klipsch 3 series speakers ( RC-3,RS-3 and a KSW-12 or 15 sub). My question is on the front or main speakers. I demo'd the RF-3's and the RP-3's and wish there was something that sounded inbetween these two. To my ear the RF-3's presented a better "presence" of the vocals but lacked a little on the low end. The RP-3's were warmer sounding and had the lower end due to the powered sub but the vocals seemed to get a little lost. Don't get me wrong both of these sounded fantastic, I am just nitpicking a little. Well now I make the mistake of going on this web site and see that RF-5's and 7's are coming out. The 7's are a little too much for my budget but I am wondering if the 5's might give me that inbetween sound I am looking for. Any comments from the Klipsch gurus about how these speakers compare. Also any thoughts on using fronts with powered subs and a seperate powered sub i.e. using the RP-3's with a KSW-12. Thanks in advance for any help and comments. Tim

IMO, 5's sound better than 3's of either variety (RP or RF). Between the RF & RP, I would (and did) choose to go with RF-3's and a seperate sub so that you can optimize placement and performance of both. However, I am now considering the move to 5's because they sound way better in many respects than my 3's. Ultimately though, you should get which ones sound best to you in your listening room. Try to find a dealer that will let you audition at home before you buy, or at least will let you swap if you don't like what you got when you get it home.

Jim