5.1 movies vs 5.1 music

sb in SC

I am currently running the ref 3 line with rf3ii's up front, and rs3iis for rear surrounds. This works fine for movies, but I was wondering if the 2 rear channels of high rez music (sacd, dvd-A) would sound better from a conventional speaker design (as opposed to the WDST of the rs3iis). I am considering mounting RB-25's or RB-35s on my side walls, under the rs3iis, and having an A/B type swith to control the rear speakers. This would allow me to switch the rear speakers depending on the source material.

Any thoughts on if this would improve the overall experience of the high rez music? Also,would the 25 or 35 work better with the rf3iis?

The design specs for DVD-A require five identical speakers. The RBs will be an improvement over the RSs for multi-channel music. However, two more RF-3s would be the ticket IMO.

I also would not set up the speakers that you propose the way you propose. I would go with a 7.1 system with two more speakers. The 7.1 system will produce better envelopment.

Bill

I like the RS series for movies, and have just gotten into SACD and DVD-A. The RS do a decent job on these, but I'm sure you'd be better of with the RB's (or, as Bill says, even better to match your mains). Personally, I only have 1 DVD-A and 3 SACD's. Not worth investing in more speakers at this time.

Bill, I actually am running a 6.1 setup. I have an RC3ii as my rear. I don't really feel the need for adding a 2nd rear at this time. As far as 5.1 music goes, I get no sound from the rear anyways, so I don't see rear speakers as part of the 5.1 music equation. I really don't have the space to accomodate 2 more rf3's in my listening room, so if I do decide to switch out the side surrounds, it will have to be with the RB series so I can get them on the wall and not on the floor.

The purpose of a 7.1 setup is to avoid the brain thinking that sounds from the rear are from the front. The single rear speaker can cause this per research done by George Lucas' company.

If space limitations make the floor stander impossible to use, then bookshelf speakers are next best. m00n recently compared RB-75s to RC-7s for surround speakers. His listening tests convinced him to go with the RC-7s. If you get the opportunity to do so, try a bit of experimntation.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went ahead and ordered 2 RB-25's to act as my surrounds for DVD-A/SACD listening, and the result turned out good. I now get better imaging with the sound from the surrounds than with the RS-3ii's. I ended up installing the RB-25's directly below the RS-3ii's, and added a banana plug switch plate that allows me to manually switch speakers depending on the source. I still prefer the RS-3iis for movie viewing. I could not afford a fancy switcher, so I just "ham and egged" it as my dad would say.

post-11324-13819255261282_thumb.jpg

Bill, I am still building my 5.1 music collection. Only about 15 disks thus far. Thus far I have found Yes:Fragile, Big Phat Band:Swinging for the Fences (a little strong on the surrounds), Steely Dan:2 against nature, Pink Floyd: DSOTM, and ELP: Brain Salad really good (to me) surround mixes.