I need new surrounds --- can you guys help me out?

lancestorm

Well I am in the process of turning the basement into the theater room I've wanted for over a year now. The problem is that it is a rather small 12 - 13 ft wide by 20 or so foot long. Basically I won't be able to use the RF-3II's that I currently use for my surrounds because they will be too close to the listener. Also, I plan on having 2 rows, so the floorstander wouldn't be such a good idea I don't think.

So what would? I was thinking RS-3II, but I've heard back and forth about how it is a sound thrower that goes everywhere. Not sure if I'll like that. Or should I consider shelving an RB or even a RC speaker? What would you suggest for my situation? And also, how high and how would you mount your choice?

Basically the way the room is designed you enter the room on the back wall, and the riser is right there. So the surround speaker will be in front of the 2nd row and the 1st row will be even with or in front of the speaker, it doesn't matter.

Thanks you guys 12.gif

(I don't know what I'm going to do with the 2 floorstanders now... 15.gif

----------------

On 5/27/2004 8:47:11 AM doudou wrote:

you can use your surround rf horizontaly pointed toward the listener.they d be place near the ceiling.

----------------

If I am reading you correctly, you are suggesting to possibly move the speaker to a horizontal position and place it on a shelf (somehow!) up high and point down to the seats? That leaves some questions...

1) The speaker would be very close to the wall, inches in fact...wouldn't the sound produced be rather boomy and flat?

2) I wonder how the heck I can mount that thing without fear of it falling down. Luckily I have not drywalled yet, so are there suggestions?

I do like the suggestion because then there is no more money spent and more on a projector 2.gif

If I am reading you correctly, you are suggesting to possibly move the speaker to a horizontal position and place it on a shelf (somehow!) up high and point down to the seats? That leaves some questions...

1) The speaker would be very close to the wall, inches in fact...wouldn't the sound produced be rather boomy and flat?

2) I wonder how the heck I can mount that thing without fear of it falling down. Luckily I have not drywalled yet, so are there suggestions?

I do like the suggestion because then there is no more money spent and more on a projector
2.gif

----------------

1 if it s too close to the ceiling and the wall yes15.gif

2 i m not good enough in english to explain my ideas.i m sure if you take a walk to some shop you ll find a solution to enjoy your system without wearing an helmet2.gif

i think it s not a good idea to buy smaller speakers than those you already get.you ll have a nice home theater but the sound won t be as good as when you were using your system in the living room.

why wasting money to have a system you won t enjoy?

and as you said if you don t spend money on speakers you ll be able to buy a projector or a sub or any upgrade you want.

in my opinion it worth thinking a little bit more before buying or selling anything.

as i said make some tests.

your room is long enought so why not placing the surround behind the listeners.

so even if you move the speaker to a horizontal position and place it on a shelf up high and point down to the seats, you won t have to place the speaker just on the wall.so you could leave some space.

the rfs placed horizontaly and pointed toward the listeners will be focused on the listening zone, it should sound quite good.

and all listeners should be able to hear the sound from the surrounds because there won t be any think between the speakers and the ears.(it you let the speakers on his stand front listenres will have less surrounds because the back listenres will be on the way.you should raise a little the backward seats so the back listeners won t have the the probleme i ve just talked)