Cornwall bi-amp and low high power amps thoughs

Hello,

Since family left on vacations I decided to run some tests on my Cornwalls (1976) using different configurations as front-end.

The reason for the mess I will describe is that I am always wondering on the

benefit of Hi-Sensitivity speakers as the Cornwalls couple to low or high power amps.

The set up was :

Cornwalls 1976 all original except capacitors changed to Oil Jensen.

Amps : Fisher 100 monoblocks ( around 40W, EL37 tubes)

Scott 299A stereo (2x18w, 7189 tubes)

Active xovers : Nakamici automotive EC-100 units ( 1 per channel ).

SACD Sony for source.

First I plugged the Scott. As I was expecting it, tight bass very nice mid-high. Sweet.

After 1-2 days I plugged the Fisher in. Immediately it heard like they were 4-5 times more instruments playing at the same time. Impressive low freq (not present with the Scott). Crisp highs. Very pleasant. On the otherhand it was impossible to turn the volume more than 2-3 without having to invite the

whole neigberhood for a listening. Uncomfortable..

Ok, to me that donnot means the the Scott is a lesser amp than the Fisher. I tend to believe that it is more of a "problem" of the Cornwall's 98db efficiency. With low amp you are more relaxed in the soune reproduction but you are missing the pleasant low end. I guess thats the reason why the mid-high sounds better. With Hi-power amps you have everything but then it is very loud. So you have to turn it down. Either not so satisfactory.

So as a final test I plugged a pair of Nakamichi EC-100 x-overs. I like a lot these units. They are using separate extrenal power units.

I used the Fisher 100 for the Woofer ( bypassing the any in-speaker element)

and the Scott for the rest (keeping the built-in speaker). Since the Fishers have potentiometers I could adjust for the sound level.

I could simply say that I will stay with this setup. It can give any combination you like for the occasion. And in anycase it sound always better than the single-amp solution. Much much better as a matter of fact.

As music used, I played Organ music (J.S.Bach) and some brazilian CDs from Lenine ( known for very impressive recordings and low end response).

cheers

george

Hi

The woofer is connected directly to the Nakamichi.

The mid-high are kept connected to their physical crossover and then I connect this output to the Nakamichi. In practice I disconected the woofer completely inside the cabinet and the coil that goes with it and installed an additional Cardas pair for the woofer only. The original speaker lugs are the mid-high output this way. the woofer coil is not connected to anything.

cheers

george