Best stereo reciever for $600 and under

Jay481985

i know but i just wanted some leeway. as 64 watts equal 120db. But were talking about at 1 meter. what if the room was a conservative 60X60 basement? and i think 120 db at 64 watts is pushing it but i might go that far and the yamaha only have 16 more watts at full power so i think i need minimum of 100 watts. Lets get it straight im happy with 120 db at 64 watts but i just don't want to burn out or blow up my reciever. I just like that I'm not near maxing out the reciever playing 64 watts

Yeah, just how they sound is right, I have never heard Yammies on RB-25, so dont listen to me, but dont listen to anyone who has NOT heard a refurbished vintage integrated tube or solid-state amplifiers on big ole horns either

if you want bookshelf loudspeakers to do party duty, make sure you lift them up above the heads of the crowd and dial back the bass and treble about half way, even then I would NOT ever crank the receiver past ¾ or full power, that is how loudspeakers are damaged, and increase the power on your sub for the bass beat!

As measured in my 17x21 living room with super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, and RS SPL meter, 4.9 watts should give you an ear-splitting 101dB average, C weighted SPL at 1Khz with 100dB/w/m sensitive loudspeakers! Ya donna need powa, laddy, ya need good, clean microwatts. Think tubes or vintage receivers.

3.gif

By the way, the trick I used in many a money-making college party, was to buy the front-end equipment on a credit card, use it for the party and return it in PRISTINE, untouched condition

2.gif

----------------

On 6/5/2004 6:56:25 PM Colin wrote:

Yeah, just how they sound is right, I have never heard Yammies on RB-25, so dont listen to me, but dont listen to anyone who has NOT heard a refurbished vintage integrated tube or solid-state amplifiers on big ole horns either

if you want bookshelf loudspeakers to do party duty, make sure you lift them up above the heads of the crowd and dial back the bass and treble about half way, even then I would NOT ever crank the receiver past ¾ or full power, that is how loudspeakers are damaged, and increase the power on your sub for the bass beat!

As measured in my 17x21 living room with super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, and RS SPL meter, 4.9 watts should give you an ear-splitting 101dB average, C weighted SPL at 1Khz with 100dB/w/m sensitive loudspeakers! Ya donna need powa, laddy, ya need good, clean microwatts. Think tubes or vintage receivers.

3.gif

----------------

I'm not using smallish bookshelf speakers, I want and going to get rf-7's

I would try tubes but i heard they are somewhat high maintainance and I have no idea how they work or which kind to buy.

oh no I would be living in the frat not playing just once. And i also expect to have these rf-7 for a while

so? only mnakes it all the more important, I have heard RF7s, without and without deanG's crossovers, and they are a much bigger step up in audio nirvana, better for music, better for parties too, but so what? Stream got a Cayin TA30 tube amp for his RF7s, ask him why horns love tubes...

Tubes? Ya ignore the BS and ya buy want we recommend as a good value and ya plug them in and ya listen, in about a year to two, ya check the tubes and maybe replace them, the rest id hobbyists BS

----------------

On 6/5/2004 7:03:57 PM Colin wrote:

Tubes? Ya ignore the BS and ya buy want we recommend as a good value and ya plug them in and ya listen, in about a year to two, ya check the tubes and maybe replace them, the rest id hobbyists BS…

----------------

what tubes do you recommend?

Colin,

First of all, I am the one who brought up the RB-25s because I confused Jay with another forum member who is looking to buy a pair of those. Jay is looking to power a pair of RF-7s Secondly, I am not sure what he is expecting to do with them. He keeps bringing up wattage and the size of the basement. I think Jay's looking to blast the entire basement with the RF-7s. Three words, Jay. Rent pro gear. If I am wrong and Jay's looking for an excellent two channel system with a comfortable couch for him and his buddies to listen to great music on, I'd give some of the vintage recommendations a serious consideration.

Me? New tubes amplifiers like the Cayin TA30, ASL offerings, refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers like those that NOSvalues repairs, otherwise sweet, little 70s vintage, solid-state harmon/kardon receivers (less than $100), great for wowing chicks

Christ, your 19! Your are going to ruin anything that you buy! Buy new, get a warranty. Unless you play a musical instrument, you probably dont appreciate half of what fooggies like me are concerned about, ya wanna blast eh party? Look for Cornwalls or other big ole horns, like JBL and Altec, cheap!

7.gif