Ok...where are you HornEd???

Curt Jett

Don't pay the ransom, cjett, I've escaped. It is 10:26 p.m. and I have just gotten in. There are four exciting SVS boxes... but I just don't have the strength to open them... let alone carry them upstairs. I went in for a little minor surgery today and wound up in the emergency room... where I spent the balance of the day. I was spared being admitted to the hospital by a promise to come back next week for a full workup... and that I not open the boxes until tomorrow. You, see, I tried to reach the audiophile within... and must have hit on a Bozer.

For the moment, I am really too dizzy to make an assessment. Maybe tomorrow.

cwm34.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-13-2001 at 06:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your VERY untimely hospital visit. Take care of YOU first. As you probably remember I had an unexpected visit also that resulted in 6 by passes so I can relate. I'm sure we can all wait until you feel properly up to dealing with the smaller things now, like new woofers.

Take care,

Curt

Well, Curt, I did get around to unwrapping the four packages (much improved custom packaging), lugging the Twin SVS CS-Ultras, Samson 1000 Amp up the stairs was a chore... but the EQ was a breeze. I hooked them up on either side and behind the KLF 30 mains about two feet from opposite corners. The are clean, crisp and clear... blending in with the mains imperceptibly. They scraped the bottom of everything I threw at them with ease... The Matrix, Das Boot, Jurassic Park, Titanic, and CD's ranging from classics to rock to jazz... and nary a slip or clip was to be heard.

Because of the number of 12" woofers I have in the HT room (14 12" and 2 10" at last count), headroom issues invariably arise when I bring in more killer woofers... and it takes a period of aggressive tweaking before all is well.

For example, I am having a second motor board custom built after the initial "learning experience." I expect to post a photo of the end result of the KLF 30 center.

I expect to run a series of tests over the next week or so... including inserting an EQ in the sub loop to better shape the sound stage. I also need to run down the source of a not very loud... but very stubborn hum that affects both subs.

I just need to build up my strength and mental acuity a bit to be equal to the task. These subs are a lot to work with... and the beginnings are most encouraging. In their short history, SVS has prided itself in building "low price" subs with "high priced" performance... but this is their first sub package that goes for over $2,500... so the value bar needs to be set a bit higher... and a more critical ear given to the result. Hmmm, I may, out of fairness, even read the instructions!cwm15.gif More later. HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Walnut Cornwall / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

Cjett, a simple ground loop elimination turned my whole SVS experience around. Now, if I could only pick up something at Target (discount stores) that would do as much for my heart! cwm38.gif

I know you know the feeling, Curt. Frankly, I'd much rather have this new SVS "feeling" in my chest than a repeat of last week's ER experience. You can catch my updated thread "Legends Meet SVS" in the "Powered Subwoofer" category. Be well. HornEd