BREAKING IN

jh.csv

There are varying opinions to this subject. Here's mine, take it with a grain of salt...

Electronics and speakers have an set (or range) of conditions that they are designed for and within that, they have a set of circumstances that they work optimally in.

That is things like humidity, temperature and the like.

Somewhere in there, the electronics will work optimally when it is at a certain temperature range, etc. The fact that all of the electronic parts will heat up and cool down will also have an effect in this as well as the number of times, etc.

Add to that the flow of current, which tends to magnetize and/or demagnetize circuitry to a certain extent will also have an optimum point at which it stabilizes in time. Again, this stuff is a "TENDENCY" rather than MAJOR NOTICABLE CHANGES.

Also, in the case of speakers, the mechanical loosening of the spiders will also approach an optimum point (where who knows). This also applies to anything mechanical, but close to new is typically good in such cases, like a car...

Where none of this stuff is very much like a lightbulb, let me make an analogy about it. A light bulb essentially either works or it doesn't, there is a lot of variation as to the quality of light that the single light produces, but we just can't see or notice it. To us, it either lights or doesn't. The point at which it actually produces the steadiest light with the least variation is not really something that we can tell without testing equipment.

However, it probably occurs somewhere in the middle 70 percent of its lifespan. So everything electronic or electro-acoustic, including wires, has an optimum performance range that consists of a variety of things, such as time, temperature, humidity, applied current flow and direction and so on. Breaking-in is the name applied to the attempt to acheive the optimum as soon as possible.

At any rate, optimum performance will be achieved sooner or later, whether a specific break-in plan is used or not.

The choice of how to get there is up to you.

DM2.gif

I have heard some people say that some solid-state amplifiers need to warm up about ½ hour to sound a little sweeter and in the past I have thought this to be true. I also thought my Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour monoblocks need about ½ to warm up to start sounding slightly better, more full perhaps. But lately the only thing I have heard that needs breaking in, NOT just warming up have been heavily doped cone drivers. They need 40 to 100 hours of exercise before they are ready to get down and rock. Maybe it is because of the extra glue or lacquer used on the cones, but a few cone models Ive seriously auditioned, in my home, with the same equipment and the same music, for EnjoyTheMusic.com. needed breaking in first.

7.gif

Colin, I agree with your assessment.

There is a period in any power supply that is required for it to "settle down". Most likely due to operating temperatures. I'm not sure if it is actually "settling down" or just becoming optimal upon warming up completely...

Tube gear tends to run alot hotter than SS gear, although it probably gets there sooner, I would think, than the SS gear. But then tubes are temperature finicky, too. That's what makes them work in the first place.

So it would make sense that a warming-up period would be required for optimum performance regardless of topology.

As far a breaking-in of speakers, I also agree that you have to run them for extended periods to "smooth out the rough edges". At least that has been my experience.

DM