need advice...

AOaR

hey, umm.. im running sound blaster live and i want to upgrade my speakers, im planning on buying either pm 4.1's or altec lansings ada890, i might even consider the 5.1's but i think they are going to be too expensive for me. im going to use it mostly for mp3s and games. ill probrably hook up a ps2 to it. i know thx dosent mean much and probrably is just a marketing plot. so that dosnet really matter to me. im not sure if i should upgrade my sound card too. soundblaster live is kinda old and isnt the best out there. i havent found any reviews comparing pm 4's to altecs 890.. ive seen the 890's in action before at my friends house and i liked those, but i havent expreinced the 4.1's yet. my price range is around 300-400, So basicaically im asking if i should get 4.1's altec 890's and/or upgrade my sound card

thanks everyone.

First of all, don't worry about upgrading your sound card. For a 4.1 aplication, the SB Live is a great card. As far as the speakers go, I agree with you, the Altec Lansing ada 890's are a Very nice sounding set. Infact, while I'm waiting for my new Klipsch 5.1's I'm using my old ACS 48's (as I already sold my 4.1's) and they sound great.

That being said however there is no comaprison. When I listen to the Altec's my first thought is "these things sound really good". The first thing I notice when I listen to the Klipsch however are the hairs going up on the back of my neck and the drool running down my chin. Smile.gif In other words, do yourself a favor and get the Klipsch. you'll be VERY happy.

hey, first of all thanks for the advice.. but if i do get the 5.1's will sound blaster live value match up for it? what would be a good sound card soultion then ehh.. well thats if the 5.1's ever do get released. oh yea.. my existing speakers.. i could plug them into the headfone jack on the 4.1/5.1's and they would play the same as the two front's for them? anyway.. im probralbly asking alott of stupid questions, thanks alott anyway