Forte II: Internal damping

Number 9

I've done the rope caulk thing on the Forte drivers. Before I put them back in, I'm wondering if its worth doing some additional internal damping.

As it is - "stock" - there is one piece of foam approx. 1/2" thick x 15" wide wrapped around the upper portion of the internal cabinet. No foam at the bottom near the woofer, nor at the back or front of the cabinet.

Is this good enough?

It is good enough if you are satified with the sound. If you are not satisfied with the sound, what area needs improvement?

Have you tried different placement options? Source equipment? Cables? Crossover modifications?

This is something to think about. I too have the Forte II, and I thought about changing this and that. In the end, I decided to leave well enough alone and enjoy the music and movies. (I did upgrade my crossovers.)

Good luck

Interesting question.

By my understanding, if the mid and tweet produced a backwave, open cell foam can provide rear damping at those frequencies. However, as you know, in the Forte, the mid and tweet are horns, so it can't be for that.

As for the bass, the open cell foam has little damping effect at lower frequencies (by my understanding). So I'm not sure what was the desired objective with the original foam in the enclosures.

I've read all kinds of stuff, from lining the cabinets with Asphalt tile to lead. These would certainly help in making the cabinet "deader" in regards to parasitic resonances.