La Scala HT Placement

JoeCool

I recently got a pair of La Scalas for fronts and a heresy II for center.

I had the La Scalas toed in initially - over the weekend, I experimented with straightening them and they actually sound a bit better (for HT at least). What gives? Conventional wisdom (to me) suggested toe in - I am a bit surprised at the results. The room is much more filled with sound. I suspect with the Heresy in the center, a lot of dialogue and other sound is coming straight at me anyway.

Would be interested in finding out others' experiences with placement in HT environment.

The problem IMHO with the heritage serie is the midrange horn. It tends to produce a "bend" of sound rather than spreading it around evenly; when I had my stock K400 horns in my Salas, I was all the time playing with them, positioning them once toed-in, once straight, and I was never really happy with the result. For me, they sounded better "straight", but then there was a "hole in the middle" ( i'm not using any center channel speaker). Since you're using a center speaker you could let your scalas straight.

Since about one year now I'm using EV mid horns with a smooth 120° horizntal pattern, and i'm happy; the Scalas are slightly toed-in, but not directly at my ears.

Note that I recently changed the tweeters as well (Beyma CP25) and this improved the horizontal dispersion even further.