Win2K with a 5.1 setup

DBvader

hi everybody, i havent posted in quite a while, but i have a question... i currently have a setup that incorporates the 4.1s and a SB Live (non 5.1) and for some odd reason i have read in numerous places that a 4.1 setup is not supported in Win2K. Whenever i try to configure either Power or Win DVD i cannot check the 4.1 setup, and when i read the ReadMe, i found out that Win2K doesnt support a surround sound setup...will the same thing go for the 5.1 system? I mean if i buy the 5.1s and a new Live 5.1, wi ll WIn2K give me the option? thanks for reading this, and hopefully you can answer my question...

Vader

------------------

BRING ON THE POWER!

Do you have 4 speaker setup selected under Windows Audio Properties/Speaker Configuration?

Power DVD has different auio ouput formats/ i.e. Wave Out/ Direct Sound. I think the multispeaker options are only available under DIrectSound, try selecting that and then see which of the radio buttons become available, I think you may have to use DirectSound3d.

As for the 5.1 sound card and speakers, I think from what I've read , you must select AC-3 pass thru in Power dvd, and then the SB-live 5.1 does the dolby digital decoding to the 5.1 speakers.

so then there is 5.1 sound on WIn2K? that is weird, because i have read a couple places there isnt any 4.1...ill go check it out...i was so worried that i would have to use...dare i say it...Me.

------------------

BRING ON THE POWER!