Has anyone ever heard of ELAN speakers?

lancestorm

Hey Lance,

I've got two pairs of Elan SEL350's that I had installed in the ceiling of my photo gallery. Haven't got them situated in the new house yet though. THe local Ovation stores carried them as a house brand for a while.

These models are two-way 5.25 poly woofer, 1"dome tweeter with directional swivel (17* any direction) I used this feature to keep the treble 'off' the side walls and aimed toward the listening positions.

I consider these a fairly good general background music speaker. With any ceiling mount, there will be less bass response. These are rated at 58-20kHz at 88dbw, so they're fairly flat, but not terribly efficient by Klipsch standards. They were fairly inexpensive and have an easy mounting system. I think they are a pretty good deal for non-critical listening.

I would NOT use them for any critical listening or HT purpose however! Hope this helps!

Michael

just an aside. We put 4 stereo pairs of them in my brother's new home. Did some construction things to make the installation better. You might be able to do some of this even after the fact.

Wire the place before drywall is up.

Where speakers would go, we pre-measured the spot so we could make cutout later- extra loop of wire was in place.

When installing drywall in the speaker area, we used some construction adhesive for about 8' of ceiling joist/drywall joint, to lessen the chance of vibration.

To create a virtual 'cabinet' for the ceiling speakers, cut the drywall hole, then stuff fibreglass insulation along either side of the joist space, creating a 2-3 ft3 cavity. This seems to help from the vibrations travelling to adjacent rooms through the joist cavity.

We placed the speakers asymetrically (2 ft from one wall, 3.5 ft from other wall, for instance) in corners of the rooms, away from being directly overhead any planned seating spaces then aimed the tweeters away from the walls, into center of listening space. This was done to lessen any room effects. (help me here Artto)

Hope this is accurate advice and helps your sis. It seemed to work well for my bro. Like I said, it's nice background music and it'll kind of rock, but the low end is lacking. If you've got one main stereo rack tied into the same source material, switching it on helps the house to rock.

Good luck!

Michael