La Scalas and Subwoofers

Mike Frankel

Tom,

" However one fella argued quite well here that a small DR sub could actually work well given that the sub works in such a small bandwidth. I dunno how it would sound but the fella's arguement gave me pause."

That may have been me as I recall discussing this with you.

For the record I use two ACI Titan sealed subwoofers (Q around 0.7) with the LaScalas and they work very well together crossed over to each other fourth order. As a side bonus this reduces the power requirements for the LAS so I can get away with lower powered amps if desired. The main limitation is if I try to really crank the SPLs up (over 105dB or so per channel in what is a pretty large room) those subs run out of juice before the LaScalas. They don't distort though as they have limiting which keeps them from getting nasty.

I will be shortly pairing the LaScalas with a pair of DIY subs to get rid of that SPL limitation and probably go a little deeper though that isn't as relevant since I have a ContraBass for the LFE channel during moves. The new subs are 6ft^3 each and each has a pair of JBL Sub1500 drivers in them. Those drivers are what were in the Revel Ultima Sub 15 but Revel had much smaller enclosures. In my enclosures these are critically damped (Q.5) and I expect will mate up with the LAS very well and have plenty of headroom since my room size is also shrinking dramatically at that point.

Shawn

----------------

On 8/13/2004 1:42:32 PM Mike Frankel wrote:

Sounds like a sub is the way to go. I am looking at Sunfire(for size), REL, and Velodyne.

Are there any comments on specific models that may match up well with the La Scalas?

SDoes anyone other than Craig ahve any experience with the new Klipsch THX Ultra subs, and are they good for music?

Thanks Again,

Mike
----------------

Mike,

Give Trey from Klipsch a shout he runs this combo and says its a absolute perfect match ! I heard them at Indy and they are extremely quick.

Craig