Matching center and rear with KG-2's

rfrys

I have a pair of Klipsch KG-2's that are about 17 years old. I was looking to purchase the Quintet 5 micro system until I found this forum. Is there a good center match for the KG-2? I see tons of KSC-C1's on ebay for around $135. Also, would a pair of Quintets work for the rears. Any info on the KG-2's would be appreciated.

Rfrys (Is that a delicious bean reference from my best friend's heritage? He puts them on what he calls "gasket material" with plenty of Cholula, etc.), the size and shape of your listening area and the capabilities of your pre-amp/amp config have a lot to do with making your best choice. If you have a 5.1 (or better)capability and in an area roughly equivalent to a normal sized living room... and you want to continue with the sound you have enjoyed for the past 17 years, pick up two more pairs of KG-2's (assuming that you have a great sub???) and set the KG-2's to SMALL in a 6.1 config. The two-way configuration of your KG-2's should make a good center providing there are not "shielding" issues with your TV... but even those should be able to be overcome.

Personally, though, I would be tempted to upgrade my mains to a Klipsch with a mid-range horn. Once again, the cornerstones to better HT are a high quality center and a higher quality sub. Most centers are compromised in size to accommodate the TV and yet they receive upwards of 65% of the sound as directed by the audio engineers that create DVD soundtracks. And, of course, without a bottom dwelling sub, much of the character available on DVD's... and even broadcast TV... is lost for your HT performance.

With today's Internet based used speaker market (including posts on this board!), the opportunity to build a greater HT experience is in knowledge and planning rather than financial resources and a high-end audio shop "advisor" around the corner.

Sorry, you will have to excuse me, I need to get ready for mother's morning matinee... cwm39.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Musicical Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-24-2001 at 09:22 AM