PLS help!! ksw10 or rw8 or jamo sub?

sesquim

i went to london drugs, got the jamo sub E6 100watts powered subwoofer, $399 on sale... me and the other guy got baught the same sub after comparing it to ksw10 and rw8 and jamo D5sub. the D5sub is $999! but was on sale for $499! the D5sub just sounded better.. klipsch was for $599... nwayz.. i brought back the jamo E6 sub cuz it didn't work.... and that was the last one.. so the manager at london drugs made me an offer... he was exchange me the demo D5Sub or klipsch rw8 or ksw10 sub!!! i took hours to pick... it was hard.. i could get a jamo D5sub which is almost a $1000 but used for 9months.. or new rw8 or new ksw10... the ksw10 didn't sound good.. but after debating i got it cuz its 10inches.. and its new in the box... but the manager said i could return it after two weeks if i dont like it.. right now it sound pretty good... its my first real home theater subwoofer...

i was wondering would have i been better off juz buying a 5.1promedia ultra system or logitech z680 system?

and which would u guys pick if u were me..? the ksw10, rw8 or ksw10 sub???? pls help thanks so much!

I say you are correct in buying a home sub vs a computer speaker system. so what was the price in USD for the ksw10 or rw8? that will determine which is a better deal. if you want to know which is a better performer the rw8 wins for sure. the only thing the ksw is better at is more spl and MAYBE deeper. never demoed either of these models. have heard other ref subs though

scp53

sup, thanks for replyn nway'z.. the ksw10 is $599 canadian and rw8 is $499 canadian... but i can get the ksw10, rw8 or any of the jamo subs for $399 ....

do u think a sub that has been used for 9months or so would not be as good compared to a new one? is it wise to buy a used sub?

I think its ok to buy used as long as its in good condition and has a warrenty. hopefully any floor model you buy would come with a warrenty.

just check the woofer's cone and surround for any damage. like cracks, nicks, scrapes, etc. push evenly and slowly on the cone on the dustcap(if its a stronge cap- just don't dent the cap) and see if theres any grinding sound or feeling. this can tell you if the woofers coil is ok. but the best way to do it is to pull the driver and do a more in depth check- which you can't do at a store.

if you think that it was beaten on or is worn then definately get a new one, even if its smaller.

scp53

ah okay thanks... also wat do u think about the rw8 compared to the ksw10 sub? rw8 is 125watts and ksw10 rated at 55watts.. by klipsch.. but ksw10 sound louder.. and the promedia ultra sub is 170watts!!! i could have got that.. but i dont know if its better or louder than rw8 or ksw10...?

I wouldn't look at wattage at all. it shows little to nothing. the woofer(s) sensitivity and cab make more of a difference. you commented on the ultra that it has 170 wts. well the Dayton 10" sub at partsexpress has 100wts and is equal to the Ultra in output and even plays lower.

I think the rw 8 and ksw 10 are close in output but have never heard them. I think the ksw plays lower and louder(not sure how much louder??).

and as for "if you should have got the Ultras" I say no way. the Ultra sub may be loud for the price but it lacks quality that home subs have. the cab for the Ultras is average, the amp is average and probably not as reliable, and the woofers in the Ultras are cheaper obviously because of price constraints. so the ksw or rw are better built for sure.

scp53

Purhaps, but the Ultra sounds better, tighter, louder, and deeper then the KSW-10. Same goes for the RW-8, except that of course the RW is tigher and sounds better, I don't know much about jamo subs. If it(Ultra) didn't have a fixed crossover, it be a great system to build upon as evident of people buying the RSX/RB series of sats/bookselves for it.

That being said, I agree to get a Dayton sub if possible, far cheaper and as said its as loud as the ultra sub, goes a tad deeper, and is slightly tighter as well.

hey thanks for the reply'ss... hmmm... so u say the promedia sub is better.... and the other says' its not... hmm... maybe i should juz return this one and get an rw8... but it seems so small though... i like the ksw10 cuz its 10inches... i wouldn't want an 8inch home theater sub. i could juz get a two 8inches with the promedia sub..

hasn't anyone heard of jamo's sub at all? i heard it, and to me if it wasn't used for 9months i'd get it for sure.. it sounds better and it's really tigth... it better be for $999 but what a deal for only $399.

will thanks all for the reply... i have been researching revies on the net bout jamo but no luck.

wat about the Velodyne CHT-10 10" Subwoofer? for $100 more i could get one... everyone is saying this is a nice subwoofer.... i tested it on future shop... i really didn't feelll the boom more of a tight bass... but i think it was juz the setup and settings... but the ksw10 i couldn't even hear in london drugs... and jamo was shaking the place.. but when i got home the ksw10 was shaking stufff... i juz wonder wat more with the jamo...

Well the Ultra sub is better, but its tied to a Multimedia system which meakes it pointless for making HT for. (if they sold sub sep. it might be different).

I'd say go with the Jamo, I haven't heard and unless someone around here has, it sounds like its the best bet for ya. You seem to like it as well.

hey thanks a lot man! u've changed my mind... i think i am gona go for jamo. your right.... if the KSW10 is tied with a multimedia sub its pointless.... i didn't realize that... thanks a lot man... i still like klipsch i have 2.1 4.1 and the tower speakers.... but yeah i guess the ksw10 was a bad one.. i wish i could afford the rsw line...

----------------

On 8/21/2004 8:59:50 AM Scp53 wrote:

I wouldn't look at wattage at all. it shows little to nothing. the woofer(s) sensitivity and cab make more of a difference. you commented on the ultra that it has 170 wts. well the Dayton 10" sub at partsexpress has 100wts and is equal to the Ultra in output and even plays lower.

----------------

wattage is indeed overrated and often used as a marketing tactic, but disregarding it entirely is foolish. it can actually show quite a bit. say you're looking at some B&W nautilus 802's, which are rated at a low (in comparison to klipsch speakers) 91 db sensitivity. you prefer the sound of the BW's but don't know if they'll give you the volume you want because of their sensitivity. so, you look to the wattage so you know how much power you can put through them safely, and in the case of the BW's, you can do 500 watts RMS. this more than off sets their mediocre sensitivity. speaker sensitivity is a factor to look at, but not the most important, because just like sensitivity can make a high power amplifier unnecessary, a high power amplifier can make a high sensitivity speaker unnecessary.

also, just because the ultra sub is a computer subwoofer does not mean it is low quality, in fact it out does many home theatre subs and most defenitely the KSW-10. the KSW line is notorious for being a sub-par speaker line. they are boomy, often suffer from distortion, and the cabinet fit and finish isn't anything special. I'm not sure what you mean by the cabinets not being anything special on the ultra sub....what exactly does make a good cabinet to you? the KSW cabinet certainly wouldn't get any recognition as being built well, nor would any of the other components put into it.

I wouldn't worry at all about buying used speakers, even if they didn't come with a warranty. if a speaker is to have a problem it will be apparrent right out of the box in most cases, or soon after.

with how much you're spending have you considerded an SVS subwoofer? they can be had for not much more than what you're looking at spending, though it may be difficult to ship them to canada.

prodj101, sorry about what I said. I didn't mean to say watts mean nothing.

and as for the quality, I think there has to be some shortcuts on the ultra sub. theres no way to build a sub-with sats and a amp for $400 and have the sub be equal to the quality of parts in a rw8/10 or stf2. Im SURE that those subs have better drivers and a MUCH better amp. I here about so many problems with that amp on the Ultras. how many do you see on other home subs. not many(ksw fuses but not many others). the Ultra sub may have good performance but it also has problems too. Im not trying to start a flame war here. so don't flame me. just making a point.

just because a product has defect issues does not mean it is low quality. it isn't a rarity to read in stereophile about $30,000 components having defects. also, the amp quality isn't probably much different. the amps are larger, but quality wise probably not much better. subwoofer amplifiers do not require much in the way of sound quality or limitting distortion.

By the way, I didn't know correcting someone and flaming someone were the same thing. if you give misleading advice I don't see why I shouldn't correct it so the people seeking advice aren't guided in the wrong direction.

this defect should be fixed by now(how long has it been out?? a year or more). so to me, quality of the amp INCLUDES reliability and sound quality. not JUST sound quality. what good is the amp if its not working? both reliability and quality need to be there, not just one or the other. the day promedia speakers can run 5-6 years with no amp problem then Ill say the amp is "quality".

and obviously larger home ones(most are larger than the Ultra amp) have better quality. the rw series came out and there has been no complaints about amp dying. same for rsw subs as far as I know. heck, a lot of basic subs have had little if no problems. if they do its probably related to abuse.

scp53

Mines been running for about 3 1/2 so far (4.1's). The thing is though that most of these problems you hear is maybe 5% or less of total sales. The most amp problem the Promedia series ever had was the the 5.1's (Non Ultra), but considering total sales, it stil lwas a small portion.

I do agree the quality is very important, that and people have to know how to take care of their speakers while knowing its limit...no matter how good they seem.

I wasn't putting down promedias. just pointing out that home subs SEEM TO have less problems. I think for every 75 amp problems with promedia, I MIGHT hear about a home sub amp problem.

my friend had the 4.1s like you and now something died on them. we think its the preamp controller but it could also be the amp.

Im done talking about this whole issue- home sub amps VS promedia amps.

scp53