My new sub

yromj

First off let me preface the following post w/ this: I am a HUGE Klipsch fan. I always try to recommend Klipsch speakers to anyone interested in new speakers.

I got myself my birthday present a little early. Last Friday I received my SVS 25-31PCi. I had it custom tuned to 22Hz at the factory. I sacrificed about 1.5dBs according to Tom V, but thought the added depth was worth it.

I calibrated it using the S&V HTTU disc and a Rat Shack SPL meter. Then I started listening.

The first thing I listened to was music. Norah Jones: Come Away With Me and her Live in New Orleans DVD. I've heard of subs disappearing into the mains when done right, and I couldn't believe it when I heard it. My sub is placed in an awkward room, BEHIND my couch (see pic). I started off by playing some Norah Jones, from both her Come Away With Me CD and her Live in New Orleans DVD. I couldn't believe the way the mains and sub blended. When my wife started listening she asked if it was on, because there was no boom. I was able to show her very quickly using my receiver that it was, and how well it blended. I can switch from "auto" mode, which uses the sub and the mains as small, and "source direct" which uses no sub and the mains as large very easily and quickly. She and I both were surprised at how the bass (the instrument) seemed to just be cut off when the sub was cut off. Then it was there, completely naturally once the sub was used again.

We then listened to some movies. My KSW-10 did a decent job w/ movies, but was quite boomy. This one just fills the room w/ very low bass. When Darla taps on the glass in Finding Nemo, or when the cave troll's hammer hits the floor in LOTR: FOTR, you FEEL it. Other parts have a more subtle depth to them that wasn't there before. For example in Finding Nemo when Nigel flies between the mast and the sail (right before Darla), there's a bass part there that I'd never really noticed before.

Basically, here's my point. If someone is looking for ~$600 sub, they need to check this thing out. I've recommended SVS subs on this forum and others because of other people's experiences and from examining the numbers. Now I can recommend them even more highly because of my personal experience.

John

post-13706-1381925764435_thumb.jpg

hey nice sub, how did u like ur ksw10? i got mine a couple of days ago and i returned it and got jamo instead the sw410E its for $999 canadian.. but got it for 399... nwayz... i'm not sure if i made a right choice.. the review for ksw10 isn't that good.

The KSW-10 is OK. Compared to many other subs I've heard at places like CC & BB, it's much better. However, it doesn't BEGIN to compare to the SVS for $175 more. That new little beast that SVS is coming out w/ for $400 is going to rule that market, IMHO.

John