Pioneer VSX-D814K and the Quintet system

twinkie57

Would this be a good combination, Best Buy has this system on sale for $899.00, the other reciever is a Yamaha HTR-5740. The guys at my best buy are so nice they said this system would be for me because i was looking at the Lifestyles 38 system from bose, I couldnt belive my ears when I heard this was better than bose at almost 1/3 of the price, and they came with speaker mounts alredy (thats $120) O yeah they were powering the quintet speakers and sub with last years yamaha model and he said it would sound better than that. But I wanted to wait a couple days or so before I jumped on something and wished I would have went with something else. So any information would be helpful. Because I am kinda new to HT systems and things thanks alot

James

James,

The Quintet system is popular becasue of the speaker size and surprising sound quality. They can be mounted in vitrually any room without standing out and are very good for home theater, but only adequate for music as they cannot reporduce the full range of sound like larger speakers can. I have no experience with Pioneer, but own and love my Yamaha. Yamaha's are well built and excel at HT.

If you are interested in music and have the room and budget you may want to consider larger speakers. If you can answer these questions we might be able to help you more:

What is your main purpose for buying a system? What subwoofer are you considering? What is your budget?

I have a HT system right now but its about 10 years old, (my reciever still has a input for Laser Disk :)) It is a pioneer, with 5.1 jensen sats. but the sub woofer is the size of my foot and I wear a 9. Then I have two big floor speakers from jensen, the model number on them is CS315 (if you care to look to see what they are). So I was thinking about getting that system and adding a couple of the sats and the floor speakers. The subwoofer that I am looking at is the one included with the package and its a klipsch 10" KSW-10. My budget is under 1500 for EVERYTHING ( I have speaker wire and connections, and since they come with wall mounts that saves a little money there). The purpose im buying the system for is well two words Halo 2 :). My current setup is kinda old and the two back sats are blown because i was running music to loud thru them, and the reciver cuts in and out every once in a while. I will be mostly watching movies and playing games, but I want to hook my tv and maybe my laptop up to it and be able to get surround sound out of them with that setup. I heard this at the local bestbuy and I was blown away, but i was standing in a small area also, will this sound the same way in my room, i have (i think) a 16 x 10 room. I dont know if i said this before but im leaning towards the pioneer because it has alot more s-video inputs/outputs and the yamaha doesnt have any. But the guy at best buy said the yamaha has a better distortion rate, i thing the pioneer was .1 and the yamaha was .007. Does this make that much of a difference? Hope this helps out a little bit better and im sorry for not being as specific to begin with. Thanks again

James

welcome to the forum James 2.gif

are you absoulutely bent on $1500? is that tax too?

I would consider this instead:

3 X SB1s pairs $600 total these kick butt for a small bookshelf

(the center would be of the sb1s, just pull the horn and turn it 90 degrees. the other sb1 would be used for the center rear channel- but no turning of the horn. this setup would be SEAMLESS for sure!)

1 HTR-5750 yamaha $400 total

1 sub? if budget can be altered a little get a svs for $550 plus shipping. there is NO REASON to get a little cheap. you WILL regret it. spend a little more and get a decent sub. ANY SVS will blow right past that ksw 10 or even the ksw 12 for that matter. or you can get a Titanic 12" sub kit from partsexpress.com for $530 or so with free shipping. I have the 10" kit and its VERY nice. there is NO woodworking skills required. the cab is pre assembled and glued and cut(holes drilled too for mounting drivers and plate amp)

or if you want to get better bookshelfs(bigger synergys or go to reference stuff) you could save money by getting the dayton 100 watt 10" sub from partsexpress.com. cost 125 and is similar to subs 2-3 times its price easily or so I ve been told.

the quintets are nice but for a little more $ you can get a LOT more performance. so DON'T buy the quintets at best buy. there is NO comparison is sound between a sat and bookshelf.

scp53

James,

My advice to you is to grow your new system slowly as your budget will allow (I just saw your previos post. Are you sure you should maxing out another credit card? My best advice is get your cards paid off and then buy a new system). As I said before, the Quintets are very good for HT, but lacking for music. You said that you listened to music and because of this I think you will want more than the Quintets can offer. However, if you are set on a small wall mountable speaker, the Quintets are the best on the market.

I suggest that you purchase the best center channel and front mains that you can afford. For example, you could purchase the following:

- the SC-3 for $300

- the SB-3's for $350

- the KSW-12 for $500 (I would advise that you upgrade for $100 to the KSW-12. You can buy better subs in the $500 price range, but the KSW-12 is a good sub)

- the Yammi for $300 (the lower distortion number means less internal noise created by the amplifier. The Pio distortion seemed a little high. The Pio and Yammi have the same number of S-video inputs)

TOTAL of $1450

You can use a pair of your exsisting speakers for back surrounds until your budget allows to purchase the SS-3's. This same approach can be used if you wanted to upgrade to an even larger center and fronts and say wait on your sub until you budget allows.

The choice is yours. Once you start upgrading you may never stop. Part of the fun (and agony) is buying equipment and then deciding you want something better. Good luck!