Quick question about harman hardon receivers

Erukian

I currently have a pair of RB-25's and a Hsu STF-2 hooked upt to a vintage HK-340 (not 430).

A friend will sell his HK680i for $50 bucks to me. I only have today to decide to responses as soon as possible are necessary. Does the HK680 have all the goodies you guys have been talking about all this time? Dual power supply and such? or is that a different model?

I don't think there's a dual P/S in this series from h/k, but that line from h/k are not bad receivers at all. My daughter just took our hk690i (given to me by a colleague at work as 'broken'... needed to have the controls cleaned) back to college with her this fall. It's a big, hefty receiver and reasonably well made. So far they're diggin' it at GU (using a pair of CSW Model Sixes with the crossovers described in audioXpress magazine). We'll see how it holds up. I have noticed that these h/k's run quite warm, even when listened to at low levels... don't know why.

BTW, I did offer the receiver back to its original owner when I found the "problem", but I guess he'd moved on to HT and didn't want it anymore. My daughter has used it, off and on, for several years.

I have a question i hope someobody in the forum can answer.

I'd like to know what are the traits/characteristics of these brands,at least what they do to the sound.

Harman Kardon/ Onkyo/ Denon.

I'm wondering if i should scrape up some $300 bucks and buy a decent receiver. Personally I like digital recievers, but that's totally my preference. It's just easier for me to work with a digital setup.

I hear Onkyo has good bass, Harman Kardon is really clean sounding, is that right? what about Denon?

To my ears, Denon is warmer. Fuller, with less distinct highs and lows, like a Yamaha (which could be interpreted as bright). Harmon Kardon is quite neutral IMO, much like Pioneer Elite. That's probably what you mean by "clean sounding." Neutral. In that it doesn't color the source. As for Onkyo, I've never listened to their products, but they are a formiddable company, and I'm sure it's not without reason. My brother owns and loves his Onkyo receiver, but since he's not exactly a home theater freak who has experimented with systems, that doesn't mean a great deal.

You could find an HK 430 in good shape for $50.

If you wanted to go really crazy, you could find a competent audio/electronic tech - several here and on other forums - who might be willing to swap out the old capacitors in it for more modern ones, check/set the bias and the DC offset on the amp, make sure the tuner is correctly aligned, etc. Then you'd have one killer little receiver, and likely have some of your $300 left over to go buy new music.