Subwoofer for Klipsch 4.1 ProMedia Computer Speakers

gmlitadog

Hi!

I have enjoyed my 4.1 Promedia Klipsch THX Speakers with Subwoofer over the past four years...which I purchased along with my Dell Dimension 8100 Pentium 4 Computer.

I have recently found that two of my four speakers fails to emit any sound. Checking with Klipsch customer service, I determine that the problem is with two of my attachments to the back of my subwoofer.

Since the system is out of warranty, the cost for diagnostic repair is $50, plus the cost of sending the subwoofer and main speaker back...which.. given it's heavy weight must be at least another $50.

With the system's speakers so close together..I am not sure I am enjoying the full advantage of a 4.1 system.

Should I just continue to use the two active speakers? Is it worth it to invest $100 at this point in time? Am I better off upgrading to a 5.1 system? Or....realistically speaking...is the closeness of my speakers to the flatscreen of my computer negating any sound differential that I can hear?

Thanks for the assistance!

1.gif1.gif1.gif

i've found that often the culprit (with 4.1's) is the speaker wire. After a time the copper wire tends to break right near the stereo jacks. you can wiggle the speaker cable right near the stereo jack (of the broken speaker) to see if this is the case. Or maybe you've done that already.

----------------

On 9/25/2004 10:23:53 AM Firebat5 wrote:

i've found that often the culprit (with 4.1's) is the speaker wire. After a time the copper wire tends to break right near the stereo jacks. you can wiggle the speaker cable right near the stereo jack (of the broken speaker) to see if this is the case. Or maybe you've done that already.

----------------

OK...WTF did I just press? My entire post just dissappeared. Crap, guess I'll just kind of summarize...

You're wrong, unless you've really been abusing your cable and it really is the wire breaking. I'm 99.9% sure it's because the plugs are dirty (believe it or not). Cleaning the plugs with rubbing alcohol should restore proper contact.