A good DVD movie for a new 5.1 setup?

Johnny_Combo

Greetings.

I just made a 5.1 purchase and was wondering what DVD movie would best utilize my new set-up?

Saving Private Ryan is seems to be on top of the list because of the amazing opening sequence. A friend of mine has recommended U-571 for a scene that takes place in the sub. He said you could literally hear where the stress points were on the U-Boat.

Looking for opinions.

-- JC

This message has been edited by Johnny_Combo on 07-29-2001 at 12:59 AM

If you like subs (both as woofers and as U(ndersea)-Boats, "Das Boot" has become a 5.1 classic WWII film for realism. Try "Gladiator" and "The Haunting" if you can do (dts 6.1). For older films that have been re-released in 5.1 sound, try "Lawrence of Arabia" (the original sound track was lost and the principal actors came back to redo the sound 20+ years later!) and "Ben Hur" which features a really talented team of sound engineers to bring the old track up to 5.1 standards.

The suggestions are from my private library... but, if you like movies and are near a Blockbuster, their 30 days of one movie a day for under $20 is a very cost effective way to cover the spectrum. And, now, they will throw in a bonus DVD, video tape, or game disc for every 5 DVD's you rent under the discounted 30 DVD program! The one drawback is that Blockbuster usually doesn't buy the dts version... so I RENT from Blockbuster... and when I find a "keeper"... I BUY dts versions from other sources.

Enjoy cwm12.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Music Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-31-2001 at 12:02 PM

• 2 weeks later...

some of my favorite 5.1 testers are The Matrix ( yes the bullet scene) Red planet with Val Kilmer, Heat for that amazing bank robbery scene, Ronin, Toy Story ( get the 3 disc toy box set ) Glory, Sleepy Hollow, Mystery Men, I want Jurassic park and the Lost World but with the third movie out I think I will wait for the box set. I don't know how to accurately place this DVD in my collection but the Beastie Boys Video Anthology is a amazing set of discs. I also LIKE Chicken run, Aliens is good for some deleted scenes, and last but not least my wife and I love this movie called saving grace, it is a cute little movie and has a bass heavy soundtrack that rocks !! Yeah I know it is a chick flick but I did mention my wife loved that movie didn't I ??? Anyway these are fun 5.1 testers and I tried not to mention any of the movies that had already been posted above but believe me they are kickers as well. HAVE FUN with this

------------------

This is my first Home Theater so kinda bare with me.

Speakers Klipsch Quintets. Possibly upgrading to synergy 6.

Reciever Sony DB-930. No hiss from this baby !!

MiniDisc Sony MDS-JE510

LaserDisc Pioneer CLD-990

CD player Kenwood DP-R4430

Subwoofer Mirage FRX-15 300 watt

DVD RCA that needs to be upgraded and given to my Dad because he has a bose system and would not know the difference

This message has been edited by nurseoe on 08-11-2001 at 06:56 AM