Macintosh 4100 Just Arrived!!!

JjR

The unit sounds great! Its a nice match to the Heresy 1's if anyone would like to know.

Now I do have a question?

I would like to clean the inside of the dial glass. Has anyone ever done this? Is ot a big deal?

I do have the service manual for the unit but I did not see any info on how to do it?

TIA

Congratulations on an excellent purchase! I hope you enjoy your 4100 as much as I've enjoyed mine for the last seven months!!

Now, I've not had a reason to disassemble mine (and hope I never do) so I can't answer this particular question. However, at Audiokarma.org there's a dedicated McIntosh forum. Quite a few 'hands on' posters, and they should be able to answer this question for you.

Good luck

Jim

Don't use Windex! It might take off the lettering. I've seen Marantz 10b owners reduced to tears after doing this.

Call McIntosh or Audio Classics and see what they suggest. Then let us know.

The 4100 is a fine unit with unbelievable versatility. I especially like the green ac sockets on the back that let you turn the receiver on and off with a clock radio or turntable.

The only thing I really don't like about mine is the cheesy contact-paper covered flakeboard cabinet. What were they thinking?

Remember the Orson Welles "We'll sell no wine before it's time" commercials? One of them had a 4100 that Welles (according to the action of the spot) turned the volume down on before beginning the pitch.

Just thought you'd like to know that.9.gif

I talked to Mcintosh and there is really little that I can do. But that is ok as I think I can suffer with it (hehe)

The sound from my Cd player is softer and it is perfect fo it will be FM days and Cd nights ;-)

Here is the directione to remove the dial glass from Mcintosh. It went quite simply.

* Remove wooden sides (remove 2 Phillips screws on each side)

* Remove wooden top cover (remove 2 Phillips screws on rear panel and 1

Phillips pan head on each side)

* Remove all knobs (tuning, input selector, volume, equalizers, and

loudness/balance) by firmly grasping and pulling straight off

* Remove front panel (remove 2 Phillips screws on each side directly

behind the front panel handles. Take a hold of each handle and pull front

panel off.

* The dial glass is now exposed. Loosen dial glass bracket screws (2 on

each side of glass) and remove dial glass by pulling up out of

brackets. There may be black electrical tape on each corner, peel back one side

before removing dial glass.

* Clean glass

* Reverse these steps to reassemble.

BTW FWIW the original owner of this unit was supposedly Ronnie Milsap. I asked Mcintosh about this an passed on the store that sold it to him. They replied that Ronnie Milsap had been a long time customer of there equiptment and was most likly true.

Windex is great for cleaning the alumnium face and knobs. The dial glass I just put a few drips of water on my finger and wiped it down then dried it with a soft cloth.

That worked great and is now nice and clean.