k77 tweeter

eli

I just had a diaphragm replaced in my k77 tweeter. and it still doesn't work. does anyone know why this might be? I thought it might be a bad crossover so I hooked it up direct and still nothing. thanks for any info you can give. and if anyone has one of these horns they would like to sell. let me know . Jake

Jake,

Welcome to the Klipsch forum. The diaphragm (actually an open voice coil on the diaphragm) is the most likely thing to go wrong with them that can keep them from working at all. One other thing is the possibility that the pole piece in the case of a K-77M (ceramic or square magnet) can become displaced and trap the voice coil. That would have ruined the new diaphragm after it was installed if it became displaced. If the tweeter is a K-77 (alnico or round magnet) the pole piece is not likely to become displaced. More likely is a short inside from lack of clearance for the solder joints on these. Assuming the old diaphragm was replaced with a good one.

I can fix any of these problems if you woud like to contact me.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

thanks for the quick response. I just got the new diaphragm today and had it installed.mine has the round magnet. I took it apart and everything looked good it just doesn't work. its really frustrating. but I guess its only time and money. how much for a new diaphragm and install? thanks Jake

A problem I had with one of mine, which I understand is very unusual, is the magnet got weak. (I dipped two identical T-35s into a bowl of paper clips. The good one picked up about twenty, the bad one three. Talk about unscientific testing...) Once I had it remagnitized it worked fine.

well I probly wont be fixing it for awhile. the company that I work for is laying off, thanks to the new man they put incharge. we were doing great at the beginning of the summer when he took over. now we are over 50 thousand dollars in debt.so its kind of looking like ill have some time off thanks for the info ill try that hopefully I just got a defective diaphragm Jake

Bob: I notice one of the parameters they dont publish for the K77 ( at least I cant find it)is the total moving mass in gm. I'm suspecting it cant be much over 500 mg. based on the average moving mass of a decent dome tweeter (200 to 400 mg) depending on the make/size i.e. 3/4", 1" etc. TIA.

Captn Bob,

I am impressed with your MacGyver-like method of speaker testing!

Tell me more about where you had your T-35 re-magnetized. Who did it and how much did it cost? Was it a ceramic T-35 or Alnico? What do you think caused one to lose magnetism? Makes me wonder about my T-35's and my K-55v's.