Turntable setup?

FreeRadical

I'm thinking about getting a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable but I have a few questions.

The entertainment ceter I'm getting for my new system will have the components on shelfs under the TV. Will this be a problem having the turntable close to the floor? I can either put it on a shelf if I don't use the dust cover or on the bottom with or without the dust cover.

Does the dustcover even need to be used on it? Will it affect the sound?

What kind of starting equipment am I going to need? I've already seen several accessories on the web that include anti-static guns, record cleaners, record brushes, stylus cleaners, stylus force gauges, protractors, levels, etc.

I plan on playing old records from my Dad's collection and used stuff that I will be buying.

FreeRadical,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck diving into the vinyl fray.

First of all, you will definitely need the dust cover. It's amazing how dirty they can get without them, so you'll need some clearance for it.

Also, make sure it has a sturdy base to sit on. If the shelf is not solid, the TT will transmit even the smallest vibrations into recording, coloring the sound (or worse). Do a search in the 2-Challenge forum for turntables and noise isolation; last year there was a LOT of discussion on this topic.

As far as accessories, anti-static guns are good, and stylus cleaning fluid and brushes are good. A good dust brush is good as well.

If you have a large LP collection, consider getting an LP vac like Nitty Gritty or similar. They will really clean the dirt and grime out of an LP, cleaning up the sound and preserving the LP and stylus.

CD's are definitely the easier format to deal with, but there is a lot to be said for vinyl!

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Chris just about hit it all. I would just like to add that you are usually better off playing your records with the dust cover removed. It is just a huge feedback pick-up when the player is in use.

In other words you don't need a shelf high enough to play LPs with the cover up, just enough to get it off safely. Don't even hook up the hinges. The lower the better unless your center is very stable.

Rick

Thanks for the advice guys. I like the idea of using the dust cover without the hinges attached. I should be getting the new entertainment center this week so I'll have a better idea of placement then. I'm probably going to have it on the very bottom/base shelf. I'll probably be doing most of my listening from the floor anyway. I like to kick back in my son's bean bag and listen. That posistion is also good for headphone listening.