auditioned new synergy

jzoz01

I was in BB today and saw the new synergy. Not sure if I care for the new styling or not, but it may grow on me. As far as the sound, I'm not sure if it was because of the stupid touchpad thing they use or what, but I was unimpressed. They didn't sound as harsh in the upper frequencies as the old synergys did, but still seemed lacking in clarity in the highs. Not a bad speaker compared with the rest of their (bb's) mix, but a far cry from a refrence product.

I wouldn't put much value in a Best Buy audition. I had a pair of SF-2's that I bought from my local dealer before they went to just Reference. I compared them side by side with RF-3's when I bought them. Both speakers sounded great at their price points. Later, when the Synergy showed up at BB, I stopped by the Klipsch room one day and I was simply amazed at how bad the SF-2's sounded. I don't know if it was the switching unit they use or what. Perhaps they roll off the bottom end of everything to get you to buy a sub. The sound was grainy and lifeless. Unfortunately, you'll never likely hear Synergy anywhere else.