Set up my friends Synergy system today

timbley

A friend of mine told me he needed help setting up his system he'd owned since 2001 but never yet gotten it out of the boxes. Is that patience, or procrastination?

I jumped all over the opportunity because I enjoy opening boxes with Klipsch stuff inside, and was really curious to see how it sounded. The system included sf-2 speakers and and KSW-12 subwoofer, with Yamaha Natural Sound receiver of some kind and matching Synergy series center channel and surrounds.

He didn't have any movies to try out the surround, but listening to Santana in stereo was very satisfying. I liked the clear, clean sound so much that I was almost regretting having spent so much for my RF-7s. Almost, but not quite. The SF-2s really do sound nice. I'd be happy to own them. You can pick em up and move them with ease. They're size is unimposing in small rooms. Coming home, it was obvious the RF-7 wins hands down in detail and smoothness. The RF-7s really sound beautiful. Strangely, listening to the SF-2s reminded me more of listening to another friends Klipschorns than my RF-7s do. There's something about the sound of symbols, snares, and those kinds of tinkley sounds that seems more forward with both the Klipshorns and the SF-2s.

In any case, for anyone ona budget, I can heartily recommend the Klipsch Synergy series.

----------------

On 10/17/2004 9:48:53 AM marksdad wrote:

your kidding right???

----------------

About what? That he bought the speakers in 2001 and just got them out of the box last night? Nope, that's the truth.

I'm not kidding about the little Synergies sounding really good.

I'm not kidding that they sound more forward in the tinklies than my RF-7s, reminding me more of the impression I got when I first heard a pair of Klipschorns.

I'm not kidding that the RF-7s sound smoother and more detailed. (That is, than the SF-2, not necessarily the Klipschorn)

The neodymium magnets in the Synergy line make it ultra competitive at Synergy prices. If high sensitivity and good dynamics are desired for a reasonable price, Synergy is hard to beat.

I pity the less informed folks that buy low sensitivity speakers and try to run seven channels on a budget receiver with a rubber band power supply.

Bill

----------------

On 10/17/2004 4:16:23 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The neodymium magnets in the Synergy line make it ultra competitive at Synergy prices. If high sensitivity and good dynamics are desired for a reasonable price, Synergy is hard to beat.

I pity the less informed folks that buy low sensitivity speakers and try to run seven channels on a budget receiver with a rubber band power supply.

Bill

----------------

I was sure impressed with the Synergies. I was also curious to see how the Yamaha receiver would sound. I've read a lot of bad press about Yamaha on these forums. But I have to say I was very much enjoying the sound.

I should clarify my earlier statement that I almost regretted having spent so much on the RF-7s. When I first brought the 7s home and got them set up, I got the impression that perhaps I had over-done it. I felt my small listening room just wasn't adequate for the speakers, and would thus not allow me to realize their full potential. It almost made me laugh, nervously, seeing how they were so prominent in my front room.

I'm sure it's true I'm not hearing the RF-7s at their best. But I think any lesser speaker would sound like a lesser speaker even in my small room.

I've set up a couple systems now for friends. In both cases, their listening venue was much larger than mine. The first one I set up was with some of my old equipment, which sounded pretty unimpressive in my house. I almost felt guilty about selling it to him. But at his house, it was much, much better, sounding smoother and mellower, especially smoother in the bass.

So that tells me that I was hearing the Synergies with an unfair advantage.

I ran an SF-2 based system for nearly a year and used to think it sounded pretty good coupled with my Denon 2802. Then I upgraded to RF-7s and a funny thing happened. The Reference speakers sounded pretty dull - much better in every way compared to the SFs but the expectation was so much higher that overall, they were a disappointment.

Then, I upgraded again. Now I have some separates juice powering the speakers, the 2802 is acting as a pre-pro, and the RF-7s sing like they were supposed to in the first place, almost. The Denon really has to go.