need help! SS-1 setup

alorie00

I just moved to a new house and everything is bigger except for my living room where my home theatre is set up. I have a pair of Synergy SS-1's and I don't know how/where to put them. The room size is approximately 10 ft by 20 ft. and my sofa goes against the back wall. The side walls are too far to place my speakers on. What should I do? Where can I put these speakers? I'm concerned that if I wall-mount the speakers on the back wall that I won't get the right surround effect and obviously my wife is concerned with the look of these rather large speakers mounted on the back wall.

Are there any alternative(smaller) Klipsch speakers that I should look into that maybe I can mount on the back wall?

Please help!

Thanks,

Albert

Well it should anyway.

If you read all the literature about surround sound speaker placement, you will find that the surrounds are often mounted directly to the sides of the listener. Obviously, you don't want the surrounds in front of you at all, but right at the sides should work. As far as height differences, our ears actually don't pick up changes in height very well at all AND i've always found that higher surrounds have always sounded better anyway.

If it's possible, I would suggest that you move the couch forward about a foot or at least 6 inches and keep the speaker mount in the same location. If possible, I would tilt the speakers a bit so that they are aimed at the main listening location. Your situation is far from ideal, but I feel this would give you the best compromise.

Is there a way you can do a temporary mount and try different positions just to see what it sounds like? Maybe pull the couch out extra far and put a speaker on a ladder to get an idea of the effect.

If you want to look at purchasing different speakers, an in-wall speaker may be an option. Something like the KHW-5. The problem here though is that the speaker will fire straight out from the wall and you won't be getting a very full surround sound and it'll be rather lopsided depending on where you're sitting.

Here's a pic of the KHO-7 outdoor/indoor speaker:

kho7_300.jpg

I wouldn't specifically recommend this speaker, but perhaps if you purchased an SB-1,2, or 3 you could mount it in a similar way, just off to the sides of the couch on the back wall...and rotate the mount so that you can aim the speaker at your head. You may even get away with mounting the SS-1's that way if you can get them to sound right.

But no matter what method you choose to go, you will benefit greatly by bringing your couch out from the wall.

• 4 weeks later...