Voicing Horns with Wiring

D-MAN

To my ears this change of where the soundstage seems to begin is one of the biggest differences when changing gear altogether, not (just) 'wires'. I guess I used to belong to the 'line-between-speakers' fraction for a long time, but by now I have got used to a more forward presentation which seems to 'draw me into the music' more easily. But it's indeed a matter of personal preference (IMO). Still, an interesting read.

Wolfram

Wolfram, I often wonder what somebody's (your) system must sound like. I went to a Heritage dealer and checked out the new Khorns especially because I wanted to get an idea of what the differences and/or likenesses with my setup. Unfortunately, they were set up as a 6.1 HT lashup that was not the best way to experience what the Khorns by themselves could do.

I listened very closely, but I will admit, I didn't get much of an impression of the soundstage, because I didn't bring any of my own music to listen to. They did image well, though, I definitely got that impression as the vocalist was clearly centered unwaveringly between the two about in line with them, so it did not seem "forward" to me. And they totally kicked as an HT rig - phenomonally so.

But nuance and soundstage wasn't part of the gig. So I am still left wondering...

I've read alot about horns (in general) having a "forward" presentation. Mine don't, of course, but that is because I have specifically set them up not to. The room treatments, the horn angles, the crossover wires, the xformer setting is all configured to give me the soundstage that I want.

I guess this attitude of mine comes from the fact that I initially had KEF model 4's on tubes in my other digs. When I moved into my house, the KEF's no longer cut it on the bass end of things. I then decided to go back to the speakers of my youth and build some DIY corner horns.

But we know that the KEF's and all other direct radiator tower speakers basically present a soundstage between the two in a not-forward manner. I suppose that's what I was used to, so that's what I "went for".

I would also say that the "forward" presentation is much more likely to sound "like they're right here in the room".

I found that I would have to redo (rearrange) the room treatments to make that a listenable effect because of the way I am currently configured. It's taken me over a year to get it somewhat "good" the way it is, so I didn't go there, of course.

As far as gear swapping, I agree, that is a very dramatic change of soundstage! I mentioned that I A/B'd a tube preamp and that it changed the soundstage. I'm not sure that it was any better than my McIntosh SS, but it was different. I think it may have had a little "more" depth/soundstage information, I'm not actually convinced. I was a little taken aback that it would be such a noticable difference, that didn't make sense. Tubes just MIGHT (and I repeat: MIGHT) have an edge on soundstaging, even up against what I would consider fine SS gear...

Could it be that the tube-heads don't care about wire because they don't need to (as much)? That thought has occured to me... but I think that ANY system can benefit from careful wire matching, IMO.

DM2.gif

Agreed! Wisely chosen 'wires' are the final spices added to nicely prepared curry dish. Not sure though if tubes are better at soundstaging than SS gear, but I simply find it tonally...more natural/pleasing (don't really know how to put it) than my former C29/MC2105 combo (which was great on Quads BTW). In the end it all boils down to personal 'taste' rather than an 'objective' right or wrong.

Wolfram

as a tube head here, i cant honestly say that i deliberate over wires.

i guess what i am saying is that i would like to have a cable as transparent as possible, and let the other variables dictate my sound.

also,

as i have point to point tube amps, i can change LITERALLY every component of my tone.

trust me, you start to look for ways to simplify!