Anyone Experienced w/DQ 20's?

I recently bought a pair through the want ads in the paper, along with a Perreaux PMF 1850. Just as I was warned, the surrounds on both woofers are torn to schreds, but am working with another board member to replace those. My Q is about the speaker wire attaching terminals; they don't seem to have a large enough internal diameter to accept banana plugs, they only have a small hole through the post that the screw cap would tighten down against, is just slightly larger than the diameter of an unfolded large paper clip wire. The seller threw in some Monster speaker wire that is maybe 1/4" in diameter per wire, but the terminations are small pins, again about the size of a large paper clip wire.

To make sure this is clear, imagine looking at the back of the speaker, into the end of the wire terminals. The hole appears too small for a banana plug, but I have yet to get any wires that have bananas unpacked, they're somewhere in a box in the basement. Now imagine runing a drill parralel with the back of the speaker, into the wire post. The hole is perpendicluar to the post, but far too small to run anything larger than maybe 18 gg wire through. The plastic nuts screw down onto the wire end/termination once it's inserted into this small hole.

(I realize most of you knew what I was talking about in the first place, but just to be safe...2.gif )

The terminals appear to be too close to the edges of the recess in the speaker back to have decent sized spade lugs installed, they'd bend way over at the point of connection, bananas' don't appear to fit, and I'm not real excited about running a garden hose sized wire that terminates into a cocktail mixing straw size pin at the end.

What have the rest of you used in this prediciment? TIA for any and all replies.

DOHHHHH!! You ever have one of those silly, slap your forehead moments when you say to yourself, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Just had one.

Thanks Bob, makes perfectly good sense to me, a simple, easy fix. Now if I can just find the right size boxes to double box these drivers sitting on my desk so I can get them sent out today I'll be all set.