So as I was watching Two Towers last night...

kenratboy

...just as the battle of Helms Deep started, I was thinking to myself, a home theater is no place for small speakers. This is the first time I watched a movie all the way thru (this was the extended) at reference levels. It is amazing how movies just 'come alive' at a certain volume. I also drug my JBL sub downstairs and gave it a workout. Not bad for what I paid for the thing.

Just ranting on the fun of this hobby, the actuall 'using it' part, not the 'what to buy part' - the downstairs system is stuff that was put together over years, and now it is at a point where it is 'good' Not a stereo, not a HTiB, but a REAL HT system, albert a smallish TV.

----------------

On 11/27/2004 1:36:04 PM nicholtl wrote:

Hehe, well you know what they say. If it's too loud, you're too old.
1.gif

----------------

Yeah, I could just see it already trying to watch Lord of the Rings at reference levels on my system. The neighbors would be pitching a fit within the first 1/2 hour!

But it was funny when I blasted my next-door neigbor out just this last weekend, because I got tired of him blasting his crappy music in his truck at high-volume right there in the driveway, next to my living-room window, while I was trying to watch a movie. The movie went off and Stratovarious went on! Cranked, that up at reference! Couldn't stay in the house, it was so friggan loud! Yhe neighbor on the other side of me, whom I am very good friends with, came over laughing his a$$ off! He was getting just as annoyed at that dude blasting his $#!+ music at top-volume as I was. Sometimes it does pay to fight fire with fire. 11.gif

knowwhatchamean! Getting honked off at the neighbor kid who is a horrible drummer- imagine Keith Moon without any tempo at all- used to mean carting out my tri-amped JBL PA. At my new home, even with two acres per lot, now I just need to put on Jimi through the Mighty Cornwalls and he gets the idea. Clocked in at 126 dB a few weeks ago on a test run- clear as a bell! Take that PUNK.

Michael (who a mere 30 years ago was the punk of this same neighborhood, looks like I've matured from Dennis to Mr. Wilson)

What do you mean by "reference volume"....I assume it must be pretty loud?

If you get a HT setup/calibration DVD such as AVIA, at some point it feeds a sound and you adjust the volume on your amp to read a certain level on an SLP meter. That will be the "reference" level as played in theaters (you may actually adjust 10 or 20 dB under reference and have to add that amount to your volume setting to determine the true reference level). They also state that this is pretty loud, and you may prefer it up to 10 dB lower.

People with very inefficient speakers have trouble reaching reference level. 2.gif

My La Scalas reach it at -17 dB on my 55W per channel h/k avr-325. I typically watch movies a bit below reference level at about -23dB to -25dB.

----------------

On 11/29/2004 2:35:28 PM psg wrote:

What do you mean by "reference volume"....I assume it must be pretty loud?

If you get a HT setup/calibration DVD such as AVIA, at some point it feeds a sound and you adjust the volume on your amp to read a certain level on an SLP meter. That will be the "reference" level as played in theaters (you may actually adjust 10 or 20 dB under reference and have to add that amount to your volume setting to determine the true reference level). They also state that this is pretty loud, and you may prefer it up to 10 dB lower.

People with very inefficient speakers have trouble reaching reference level.
2.gif

My La Scalas reach it at -17 dB on my 55W per channel h/k avr-325. I typically watch movies a bit below reference level at about -23dB to -25dB.

----------------

To clarify even more what "psg" said.

Ideally, when you have your volume set at "0 db", that should be were your "reference" volume is at (when the system is properly calibrated, as "psg" is alluding to above). Thus, when your volume says something like "-10db", that is actually 10 db below "reference", likewise, when your volume is at "+10db", then you should be getting 10 db more than "reference" in sound volume.

If I recall correctly, THX standard calls for a "reference" volume of something like 120 db (somebody correct me on this if I am wrong)? That is just to loud for me, thus I normally listen to CD's at around -25db and watch movies at around -15db.