Cheap speakers 'buzzing' at high levels?

kenratboy

I have been playing with the downstairs HT system and in Two Towers when the tree guy roars when he see's the forrest got cut down, the sound pans around and gets loud in the rears. One of the rear surrounds, a CHEAP KLH with a 4" woofer and 1/2" dome tweeter, all in a plastic box! BUZZED loudly. There is no bass going to them, so it wasn't that, it sounded like the cabinet was resonating. Is this just to be expected from some cheap, awful POS speakers?

Other than that, they are GREAT surrounds! They were free!

Can you get the buzz to replicate itself? If so, play that scene over and over and try pressing against the cabinet to see if you can get rid of the buzz. Perhaps you can try swapping your surrounds and see if the problem follows the speaker.

I had a pair of old crappy plastic computer speakers once and there was a small crack in the plastic that caused a vibration to happen around 100Hz. I can even see a 200Hz tone being capable of producing such results. (Anything higher won't really sound like a buzz anymore). You've prob got your surrounds crossed over around 80Hz so it's very likely this could be the case, even though your surrounds "aren't getting any bass sent to them" 2.gif

i had a promedia speaker wich did a such thing:

it was the electrical components of the crossover that were to close(only one millimeter between them).

when i listened to music a loud level, at some frequencies, two components touch.i just twisted the 2 component a little bit to avoid they touch each other, with 5mm of space between them i ve never heard this noise again.

i hope this will help you.