New HDTV DVD players

ct1615

There's a difference here. The ongoing format war for the soon-to-be-the-new-standard DVD players are between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. People predict Blu-Ray will be the last man standing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those DVD players are designed in conjunction with whatever the new disc format will be, and together they will display true 1080i picture.

What is currently available in mass market, is the 1080i upconversion DVD players, such as Pioneer Elite's 59AVi, of which I own. Personally, I think one is better off with an outboard upscaler, rather than using a machine's built-in upscaler. I also own a Denon 3800 DVD player, which was quite the King back in it's day, and arguably still one today. It only displays 480p (progressive), but to my 20/20 eyes, it bests the Pioneer's picture, hands down. Yup, even with the Pioneer's 1080i upscaling outputted via DVI. Now I know technically, it doesn't make sense. But I sh!t you not. 480p on a good machine is still the gold standard.

So my advice is to wait until either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD wins out, and players for the new format begin spitting out the woodwork. There are a few units available at current time, I think Samsung being a company offering such a product, but it's asking price is most likely astronomical.

And so, until then, rest easy with your current DVD player, or if you MUST, upgrade to a solid 480p one to tide you over until the storm settles, the rain clears, and one of the formats emerges triumphant.

----------------

On 12/9/2004 4:27:18 PM nicholtl wrote:

What is currently available in mass market, is the 1080i upconversion DVD players, such as Pioneer Elite's 59AVi, of which I own. Personally, I think one is better off with an outboard upscaler, rather than using a machine's built-in upscaler. I also own a Denon 3800 DVD player, which was quite the King back in it's day, and arguably still one today. It only displays 480p (progressive), but to my 20/20 eyes, it bests the Pioneer's picture, hands down. Yup, even with the Pioneer's 1080i upscaling outputted via DVI. Now I know technically, it doesn't make sense. But I sh!t you not. 480p on a good machine is still the gold standard.

----------------

I believe this is highly dependent on you monitor/pj. Whether or not it makes technical sense, I have seen some that appear better with 480p input than with 1080i. I have a 2 YO Hitachi Ultravision 65" that does really well with 1080i input, and a 6 month old Hitachi 46" that seems to do better with 480p....go figure.

JR

Guest Anonymous

i have heard nothing bad about either blu-ray or hd dvd, but as stated bfore the blu-ray seems to be a much better choice because it seems to have a more stable lense less prone to falling out of alignment and fading out over time

i have used the samsung dvd player that upconverts to hd and there are 2 models, one that is basic and one with farujda chips, my conclusion if you have to have one of them buy the one with farudja its worth every penny.... the basic model has horrible color ratios as well as very poor scan modulation. it retails for 200 and the sony dvpns730s is 120 and blows the samsung away for the same price and only has component video out

on the higher end scale i am a little less famaliar with how the elite dvd players look, but i would hold off for blu-ray or hd dvd

It seems from what I've read that studio support for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray is about 50/50, meaing a nice long format war ahead. So until that all settles down and prices are reasonable, I got me a Denon 3910 for DVI upconversion and SACD + DVD-Audio. You'll get no complaints aboutp icture or sound from me for a looooong time coming.