System:

Onkyo DD 5.1/DTS 595 (Reciever)

Sony DVP-S560D (DVD)

Klipsch SB-3 Bookshelf Spkrs (Fronts)

Klipsch SS-5 Surround Spkrs (Surrounds)

Klipsch SC-5 (Center)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Subwoofer)

Sony Wega 36XBR (TV)

Room size is fairly small (I'd say 15 feet wide, 25 feet long)

I'm not very audio-savvy and this is my first home theater, so bear with me. Put this setup together rather cheaply and seeking advice from your audiophiles out there. Have it set up right now with the fronts, surrounds, and center with standard speaker wire directly to the reciever, and the subwooder through the LFE inputs with MonsterCable. Sounds pretty good right now but I know its capable of more =).

What is the purpose of the "Phase" dipswitch, and what is its optimal setting?

What is the optimal crossover setting?

I've read that using the "Speaker level inputs" yields vastly superior sound compared to LFE input. Is this just plugging my speakers into the subwoofer directly, instead of jacking them into my reciever? And if this is true, is it really THAT much of a difference? (The Monster LFE Sub cable did cost me 50 bucks ater all =))

Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Q:What is the purpose of the "Phase" dipswitch, and what is its optimal setting?

A:The "Phase" switch allows you to change the polarity of the subwoofer without taking the subwoofer apart to switch the speaker contacts(+,-). To set it properly, make sure that all of your other speakers are in phase. Do this by determining that the positive(+) terminals of all your speakers are connected to the positive(+) terminals of your amp. Then play a low frequency "sweep" from around 200hz to 20hz. Listen carefully as the sweep approaches your crossover frequency. If it gets very quiet, or "dead" at the crossover, that means the sub is out of phase with your main speakers (when the woofers of your main speakers are "pushing", the sub is "pulling"). Flip the phase switch and run the sweep again - the "dead" spot should disappear.

Q:What is the optimal crossover setting?

A:This depends on the ability of your main speakers. If they are large, floor-standing speakers that have good low frequency reproduction, then a crossover of 40-50hz is optimal. If they are very small satellites, then maybe 90-100hz.

Q:I've read that using the "Speaker level inputs" yields vastly superior sound compared to LFE input. Is this just plugging my speakers into the subwoofer directly, instead of jacking them into my reciever? And if this is true, is it really THAT much of a difference? (The Monster LFE Sub cable did cost me 50 bucks ater all =))

A:The speaker level inputs at the back of the sub should be connected directly to the outputs of the amplifier, and the speaker outs should go to your main left and right speakers. The sub takes the signal from your amp and "downconverts" it to line level for use by the sub amp. This signal is then run through a low pass fiter that is adjustable with the control on the back of the sub. The high level signal from the amp continues on through a high pass filter in the sub, and then on to the mains. This has the effect of giving you an adjustable crossover. Whether this will sound that much better will probably depend on your main speakers, but since you have "bookshelf" speakers, you should use the amp's internal crossover (about 80hz) for best results. Set your crossover as high as it will go and connect the line in of the sub to the LFE out of your amp.