KG4 Drivers

Pure Corn

My KG-4's have grey cones. Thought I'd seen pictures of 4.2's with black poly cones, though, which might be right. Sure you don't have 4.2's? If so, congratulations; 4.2's have improved sensitivity via extending the horn tweeter's lower range.

On the other hand, like the other guy's said, if they're paper, they're wrong.

If poly or composite, question: do the speakers work? Do they sound good i.e. clear and balanced? Full mid-range response?

If so, it might not be worth worrying about. Consider that the KG-4 (and nearly all Klipsch) was built by Klipsch to a price point. The alleged replacement drivers could possibly be better than the factory originals. There are a few other drivers on the market that match the KG box parameters, and frequency response curve. If you're lucky, this might be the case for you. Why reverse a successful upgrade?

I upgraded the crossover components in my KG-4's a long time ago and have no desire to go back to stock, the improvements in detail are too dramatic. The caps are worth nearly as much as the KG's. It's also possible that replacing your drivers could cost as much as the KG's are worth.

Spend some time on the forum and you'll read about a lot of Khorn guys who've successfully swapped parts: Altec squackers, Beyma and JBL tweeters, crossovers, wiring. Only the 15" woofer defies change, it's quite an unusual beast!

Just my 2 cents.