Subwoofer FAQ / Sticky?

cwaters

Just ordered a KSW-10. This is my first subwoofer. My receiver has a RCA-style subwoofer output; two of them, actually.

Is there a FAQ or a sticky on this forum on how to best setup and configure this?

- Suggested cabling between receiver and subwoofer

- Merits of adding a Y-connector

- How to adjust the settings (i.e., from reviewing the online manual: Level, Lowpass, and Phase)

- How to adjust the settings on the receiver

- Best location / advantages/disadvantages of particular location placement

- Anything else I should know 2.gif

Thanks!

Congratulations on your new purchase. I have a KSW-12. I'll try to answer some of your questions. Use a quality subwoofer cable and Y adapter. I use mostly Acoustic Research cables. They are pretty good quality for the inexpensive price. The level you can adjust to your tastes/needs or you can get a test CD/DVD and SPL meter if you want to get technical. I've got a Sound and Vision DVD I got off Amazon for adjusting my speakers and television. The lowpass or crossover setting will partially depend on your other speakers. It's best to set the crossover at the lowest frequency your surrounds are capable of. This prevents a "hole" in your freqeuncy range. If your receiver has its own crossover, use that and set the sub crossover to the top level. Phase can be adjusted by sitting in your normal listening position and having someone switch it for you. Whichever position provides the highest output is what you want. Placement of the sub in a front corner of the room will give you the most output, but may increase the "boominess" of the sub. OK for movies, not as good for music. Just depends on your taste really. You can experiment if your cable is long enough. Move it around and see what you think sounds best. Good luck. Hope you enjoy it.