subwoofer

mark0621

i cant seem to get my new KSW 12 to work. Tech at Klipsch said a RG-5 coax ( I have a long distance to run) will work fine with 75ohm to rca adapters & a "y" at the sub will work fine. i have a Yamaha receiver & can get a little "hum" if i touch the connector to the plug, but nothing when plugged in. power is on & fuse is intact,

receiver setting is for a subwoofer.

any suggestions????

first, forget about the distance (RG5 cable is suspect) and use a standard RCA short cable to check for output from receiver to sub.

Make sure sub is on (green light), turn xover knob all the way to right and volume up for testing.

Some receivers have NO sub output in normal stereo mode, you have to use a DSP or HT mode, so don't use normal stereo.

If 5.1, test with a DVD with known 5.1 output so you know you have a sub signal. Double check software (controls) with receiver and DVD player.

Try any output, like a tape output from receiver, that way you'll know there's signal, it may sound ugly, but you'll be able to ascertain if problem is in receiver or sub.

With sub plugged in and volume at 1/2 on sub, disconnect RCA from receiver and 'short' across the terminals with your finger, should hear at least some hum if sub works.

hope this helps, write back,

michael

thanks michael! on 2nd attempt put in a lord of the ringd dvd, cranked up the level & it's thumping fine. after some ajustment, got it working with cd also. moved back to the coax across the room, and it's fine.

this is my first sub, but it seems great & adds a whole new dimension to watching a dvd, or listening to music with a lot of bass, or drum beat.

thanks again! Merry Christmas!1.gif1.gif