Very important home theatre question

ancientdude

This has been bothering me for a while...

I have a basic setup of quintet 2's and a harmon kardon 135 receiver.

Now it seems that during movies, almost all the sound seems to be coming from the center channel...and i have to place the sorround spekaers up to my ears to be able to notice that sound is coming from them...

is this normal?

If it is...what would be the purpose of buying expensive front and sorround speakers if the center channel is doing all the work?

if not...what would be the reason for this problem? Maybe i just need to set the levels on the front and sorround speakers higher?

anyone have any explanations for this?

If it sounds better to you, then I would turn up the levels on fronts and surrounds. If all speakers are matched or even the same, you should get similar output. Does your receiver have test tones for each channel? If so you can borrow/buy an spl meter (radio shack). From your seated listening/viewing position the decibel meter will tell you how much you should have to turn up each speaker.

----------------

On 1/1/2005 1:23:26 PM ancientdude wrote:

This Now it seems that during movies, almost all the sound seems to be coming from the center channel...and i have to place the sorround spekaers up to my ears to be able to notice that sound is coming from them...

is this normal?

----------------

You are almost correct. For movie soundtracts the center channel does do most of the work. Hovever, you should NOT have to put either the R&L Fronts or the surrounds up to your ears to hear them, when there is content for them in the soundtrack. You definitly need to do a calibrated setup with a RS meter, then tweak to taste. Be aware that speaker placement can have a lot of impact in the sound intensity eminating from it, so don't be surprised if you find after meter calibration that you have your surrounds set somewhat higher than the center (or the mains for that matter). This is what My setup comes out to to sound correct:

Center -1

RF +2

LF +3

RS +2

LS +5

CBR & CBR -2

Jerry Rappaport