KLF 20 woofer issue

funkenstein

guys, new to the forum here. I have been using my KLF20 mains for about 4 years now. I have not had any issues until recently when removing my grill covers. I noticed that the cone on top woofer on the right speaker has a "wave" in it. If you look at the woofer as if it were a clock, the fold or wave starts at about the 3:00 postion and heads towards the center "dome" or where the hands would attach if it were a clock. If I (gently) run my fingers around the woofer in a circular pattern, there is a definite imperfection. It also appears that the "cone" is detaching from the center "dome" where the wave is. 1) does this affect sound? I assume it does. and 2) are replacements available? Any help or ideas would be great. 15.gif

It is hard to say what is causing the wave or distortion, but heat is my guess. The legend series (klf) uses poly cones, and they will start to deform if they are subject to extreme heat. My guess is that the heat is coming from the voice coil lead in wires above the spider. They must go through the cone in order to attatch to the voice coil.

If the dustcap ( center dome looking thingy ) is starting to detatch from the actual cone, this can be reattatched with an adhesive, either a cyanoacrylate (like krazy glue) or an adhesive made for this. Parts Express carries a specialty adhesive.

Does this affect sound? If the voice coil former becomes misaligned, it can rub causing a raspy sound, which may also cause the coil to open or become a dead short. To check for misalignment, gently push the cone in evenly with your hand to check for abnormal rubbing/scraping sounds.

To check for replacements, call 1-800-KLIPSCH and ask for the parts dept. Hope that this helps. If they are no longer available new, you may also check an auction site lie E-bay.

Thanks for the reply. I tried gently pushing the cone inward a few times and I do not hear any sound. With that said, do you think a distorted cone will cause any degradation to the overall sound? Or is it purely cosmetic? I sent an email along with pics to tech assisstance, so we'll see what they have to say as well. Unfortunately it looks like I am just past the end of the warranty period. I'll need a woofer either way, hopefully they will have some replacements. thanks again .