speaker connection at amp or pre-amp - preferences?

BillH2121

Is there a preference regarding connecting speakers at the amp as opposed to preamp and why? Also, I'm not sure the question in a prior thread concerning a preference between 4 ohm and 8 ohm connection with the RF-7s was definitively answered (or if it can be). With my Mac 2125 and C-26 would a 4 ohm connection be advisable with the RF-7s?

On my C-26, you can run a jumper from the amp speaker outputs to the preamp inputs and then use speaker outputs on preamp to run directly to speakers. For some reason, several people I knew used to do this (many years ago). For some reason, they thought this was a better method. I realized a few weeks ago when I moved my components to my living room that I had wired this way. I couldn't remember the logic behind why I did this when I originally wired it 12 years ago - I probably blindly followed the way I had wired it 20 years before that, based on what my friends told me was best method.

That was a hip arrangment about twenty-five years ago - you could put your amp in the closet or somewhere and control several different sets of speakers from the preamp - and in some cases, drive the headphones too. McIntosh, Harman Kardon, Dynaco (as mentioned) and SAE all did this. The down side to all this is some amps (Audio Research comes to mind) don't like having the grounds tied together. Plus you're running your amp's signal through another set of switches and connectors. And you're running the risk of presenting your amp a load it doesn't like. And you're increasing your system's "FU" factor a bit. It's all a trade off for the convenience.

Captn Bob - that makes sense - no real audio factor involved, just a convenience thing. When I re-wired last week, I ran the speaker cables directly from the amp. I can't really hear a difference now, but it is one less connection to be made and, as you say, one less FU factor.